Home Alone

Why is it that when you are home alone at night, the wind blowing has the possibility of being a burglar?

Fear, according to Webster, is "an unpleasant often strong emotion caused by anticipation or awareness of danger."

What causes this irrational, silly emotion? Perhaps, in order to better understand fear, we must first examine what fear is not..

Fear is NOT from God. "for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. -2 Timothy 1:7"

Fear is NOT and has never been association with love. 1 John 4:18 explains: "There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love."

So where does fear come from? Are we born afraid?

According to several studies, fear is a learned behavior.

So that torture, the rapid heartbeat, the sweaty palms, the nervousness-is something we learned? I don't know about you, but I don't remember anyone teaching me how to be afraid. Therefore, if fear can be taught, fear can be untaught.

Love is what we were born with. Fear is what we learned here.

Next time, we are afraid, dwell on the positive and remember that God with us and things suddenly don't seem so scary.

Being home alone suddenly doesn't sound so bad now. It actually sounds quiet, and relaxing.

Peace, Love, and Nightlights,
Jordan
June 4th, 2011 at 06:32am