Marriage and religion

I've been thinking about marriage. Of course, I'm not contemplating marrying right now but I'm just thinking about the future. In psychology we were learning about marriages.

I'm Christian and I go to a Catholic school. Even though it's technically a Catholic school, I'm pretty sure that 90% of the kids are either Athiests, other religions, forced practicing Catholics, or non-practicing Catholics. I'm part of the 10% that are practicing Catholics.

When it comes to marriage, I'd want to marry a Catholic. For me, the main issue is raising children and overall lifestyle.

I want to raise my children as Catholics. You may think it's wrong to do that, but it's actually something I look forward to. My parents did it with me, and I turned out alright (I think so anyway :P). I also think it would be hard for me to do all the "Catholic" things without having any influence on my children. I'd want to continue going to church, praying before I eat, etc. without worrying about anything. I don't want to change who I am and I don't want to change the person I love in order not to "clash".

Am I shallow or am I being realistic?

Do you think a marriage between a practicing Catholic and a non-Catholic would work out?

Disclaimer: I don't believe that I'm better than anybody because they are not Catholic. Everyone can believe what they want. All I'm saying is that differences in beliefs inevitably causes conflict. Just look at history. It's everywhere.
June 11th, 2011 at 04:23am