Job Shadowing - Pt. 2

So, I just got off the phone with a local radio broadcasting company, and let me tell you, I was sh*tting bricks.

If you refer back to my other journal, I said that my mom doesn't approve, which is still true.

That night, I sat down with my friend Gunz and asked him what exactly he went to college for and what not. He went for broadcasting, which is what I was looking into. He said "If it's what you wanna do, do it," so I am. He told me about what lead him to it, as well, which was street-teaming and stuff, which I kind of already do for a few local bands (who are amazing guys, by the way). Then he went on to tell me that he does it with a journalism thing as well, working between the online radio, ESPN, ABC and another, which just blew my mind.

So, what happened when I sat down with my mother? Well, she flipped. I told her that this would be a great opportunity for me to see if broadcasting is really what I want to do. Even the guidance counselor said to take it and treat it like that.

But my mom still freaked. She was all, "Fine, but don't come to me if you can't support yourself! There is no more money flow if you pull a Fred or Ryan!"

First off, Fred went to school for computer programming and hates it. Second off, I'm not Fred and didn't decide to take an utter passion and attempt to make a full force career out of it.

Then, I'm not Ryan, either. He was going for computer programming too, but switched his second semester to ITT or something. Then he started having personal problems to deal with and ended up dropping out.

I'll tell you now; I'm not taking this lightly, either. Through my dad's Purple Heart, he had the opportunity to go back to school, but he doesn't want to, so he had the choice to give it to me or my youngest brother, Jesse. At first, he was going with Jesse, until my mom stepped in and said, "Think about this, first. Jesse's not going straight out of high school, he's probably going into the military, and if he doesn't, he'll drop out."

Those made my dad turn around and give it to me. Now, as far as a "free ride" goes, we don't know what all the Purple Heart includes. My dad has to check into that.

Now, if I don't want to disappoint myself or my dad, why would I turn around and end up wasting it? I mean, I love what Gunz does, and I'd enjoy doing it as well. I can see myself doing it.

But yeah, I just got off the phone with the operations director for the station, and I was shaking the whole time I talked. I couldn't sit still, either! xD But he told me to come in, and he'll sign my paper along with sitting down and talking about when we can actually start the job shadowing.

First off, I'm glad I'm getting this opportunity, and I'm grateful that he's allowing me to do it, as well. I just can't wait for it! :)
June 17th, 2011 at 07:57pm