So I was thinking about writing a story about Kyle...

I haven’t written anything in months. And I was marvelously inspired on Saturday.

So, my mom and I had to get our car towed, and the man who picked us up was so… I don’t know. I felt like he had a great story to tell.

So there was a little booster seat in the middle seat of the cab (cab of the truck, not cab like taxi), and my mom sat on it because…well, it’s my mom. The man, Dave, said that it was there because his boy was usually with him.

So he starts telling us about little two-year-old Kyle. He loves, more than anything, to be in the truck with his dad, driving around and picking people up. He had to stay at home that night because the drive was too far out, and it was late (9 pm or so). And I guess Kyle knows all the buttons on the truck. So Dave would tell Kyle, his this, this, and this button, and Kyle would. I mean, the kid is two and can operate a tow truck. How cute??

Dave was telling us how he even got Kyle this little reflective vest for when they were out at night, so he could sit on the back of the truck and hit buttons and be seen. He tells us this story about how Kyle is so curious that once, when they met a cop while towing someone, Kyle was sitting in the police car. The cop was all, “Oh, it’s fine, he won’t find any buttons.” Kyle found them all and pressed them. There were lights and sirens and everything, and Kyle just sat there, chillin’ in the cop car, probably laughing.

I guess little Kyle is pretty fearless, too. Dave told us how if he was on the roof fixing something, Kyle would be the next one to try and climb the ladder. And Dave would sit up there with him.

So Dave works everyday, and works two jobs—the tow job is only nights and weekends. He is such a sweet guy. He tows cars for people when they’re stuck because he loves to help people. He’ll go out at any time of night, wherever and whenever they need him. He’ll take shortcuts to get there faster so people don’t have to wait. He picks people up even if he hasn’t been specifically instructed to do so. And he doesn’t get paid any more to do it.

I just thought that this was such a great story, and I would love to write it. I just don’t know how.

I love the idea of little, fearless, tow-truck-button-pressing Kyle and his selfless, sweetheart dad. But should I tell the story of Kyle growing up, or have him be a teenager, and have flashbacks to his two-year-old antics?

I don’t really know yet. Thanks to those who actually read this. Sorry for eating your dash. :)

If you have any suggestions, I’d love to hear them
July 5th, 2011 at 04:08am