Riots: London, Birmingham and now here?

So it's no new news that there have been numerous riots happening across the UK over the past three nights.

It's being said that this has all been started by the riot that began in Tottenham, over the shooting of a man. These riots in London and Birmingham seem to be for no apparent reason at all; these people are doing it just for the sake of it. From what I've gathered from the news on the television, they say its just 'mindless thuggery'.

Now, the trouble has been spread across the country in places such as Liverpool and Bristol to name a couple. After a build up of groups of youths in the city center, there has now been a report of disorder in my city of Wolverhampton though I don't think it's anything serious as of yet.

Buildings have been burned and destroyed and shops have been broken into and looted by these people. The images on the news have been horrendous.

Of course, the media will be taking advantage of the fact that it's mostly youths rioting and it's going to give the rest of us a bad reputation. It is only the minority of young people doing this. On Twitter, I've seen #riotcleanup - this is the community grouping together to clean up the mess that's been created by these thugs, not all young people are bad.

The Prime Minister and Mayor of London have both returned home from holidays early in light of these riots breaking out but I can't help but wonder what on earth they could possibly do to stop it from happening. There seems to be a disregard of the law now; they don't seem threatened by the presence of the police officers.

Lord knows when the hell this is all going to stop so that the country can start properly repairing the damages these groups of people have caused.
August 9th, 2011 at 06:52pm