Do you think if I keep changing this title I might actually get some readers?

Most of us live our entire adolescence in a state illusion. Growing up on Disney movies were the good people always win and the bad people get what they deserve. (Usually, an untimely death.) But, and this is me being as uncynical as possible, one day you have to wake up.

This 'wake-up call' is usually not a pleasant experience, I know that first hand. Wether it comes from the death of a friend or family member (or both), or a tragedy in the news, or maybe even a tyrant in a place of power. It could be a hurricane, a tornado, a tsunami. It could be all of the above. But the point is, one day, you're going to have to join the 'real' world. It's the world you're parents work in, where laws are made and enforced, and news stations fester in their self-inflicted wounds. It's a world that you will enter into one day. And once you enter, a piece of you always remains.

But the longer I live in the place, the harder I search for an escape. And I find it; in a good book, a night with friends, a good dream. But in each of those worlds, there's an end. And I guess there's an end to the 'real' world too. (But this isn't a suicide letter. I find this all too interesting.) Actually, there are two ends in the 'real' world; death and insanity, the real insanity.

It's an idea that intrigues me, this insanity. In it exists a world all your own, rules that are your own, ideas that are your own. Where there is no such thing as political correctness, social expectations, or obligations of any kind. The idea is surreal. And it's something that everyone strives for, that is, a happy world, not insanity.

But how do we reach true happiness without leaving behind the world of 'real'? Is the reason why 'insanity' is looked at as bad and a lesser form of life because the rest of us are jealous that we can't leave behind our obligations, our rules? Are the insane really insane, or are we the ones who need the wake up call? Do the sane need to come to life? To breathe again?

What is a meaningful life?

More on this later. I'm tired and the obligations of tomorrow are already knocking on my eyelids.
September 15th, 2011 at 05:15am