I can't believe she's really moving. | Happy Thanksgiving!

I just found out a couple days ago that my best friend is moving in January.

We've been best friends for the past ten years. We moved to Arizona around the same time, we started third grade on the same day (we literally walked through the gate together and she asked me, "Are you new here?" and I was like, "Yep!" and she said, "Me too!" - we later discovered that we were in the same class, too) and we were each other's first friend in the state. It's hard to hear that she's going to be moving since it's always been us against the world, you know? We've never gotten into a fight. We were mad at each other once for about... maybe two minutes when we were ten, but that's it.

But she's had a hard life the past year. She got pregnant May of last year and the father is no longer allowed near her for various reasons. She gave birth to her son in February and ended up getting married in May to a guy she claimed to have liked since her freshman year. It was hard on both of them living on their own and they got into fights often. She finally announced a couple days ago that she's getting divorced and moving with her parents to Missouri. I know it's going to be easier for her there so I have no right to complain. She deserves better than she's got and I sound selfish for wanting to keep her here.

She announced a few months ago that she was pregnant again (the father is the man she married, thankfully) and we found out she's having a girl this time, who's due in either March or April. Since I was with her in the delivery room for the birth of her son, I was looking forward to being there when her daughter is born. It's hard to know that I won't be able to. I even found out she's giving her daughter my middle name which made me ecstatic beyond reason because I always joked and hinted that Marie would be a good middle name for her.

I'm just going to miss her so much. I admit that I cried when I first found out. I know we'll stay in contact because she moved towns a few years ago and we're still as close as ever. It's just knowing that she won't be forty-five minutes away anymore and I'd have to take a plane in order to see her that makes it hard to grasp. But like I said before, she's going to have a better life there for her and her kids and that at least makes me feel better knowing that she'll be alright. And she knows me and my family are always here for her since we're like her second family.

---

On a much happier note, Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it (and a Happy Thursday to those who don't)! I hope you guys have a wonderful day with your family.

I was looking forward to pigging out this year, but with all the drama that's been happening in my house these past few months, we're pretty much skipping out on the Thanksgiving dinner. My mom promised we'd have a big Christmas dinner to make up for it, though, because it's hard for us to skip a family tradition.
November 24th, 2011 at 09:42pm