THE SECOND-LAST RACE - Homebush Saturday Wrap Up

This weekend is the last round for the V8 Supercar Championship Series for 2011, as stable mates Jamie Whincup and Craig Lowndes battle it out for the title. However, the treacherous track lives up to its expectations by making the day hell for some.

Fans are calling this race the best of the 2011 season, as madness was unleashed upon the Sydney streets since qualifying started. The top ten qualifying time sheet fluctuated, as every driver on the field battled to have their one last crack at pole position. Some unusual names made it into the top ten, Michael Caruso and Jonathan Webb, who is famous for his win in horrible wet conditions last year. Track conditions made it hard for the drivers who competed for pole position, Rick Kelly and Craig Lowndes uncharacteristically punching in below average lap times. Pole position went to Will Davison, his third for the season.
However, all the events of qualifying and the top ten shootout were soon forgotten, as the 250km race unleashed all types of madness. Pole sitter Will Davison was the first victim of the narrow concrete jungle, also the first to trigger safety car, as a bent steering arm sent him flying into the wall. In the same spot as Davison before, Bargwanna was lucky to escape extensive damage as he ricocheted off the tyre bundle to safely re-join the race. The biggest blunder of the day belonged to championship combatant Jamie Whincup, as he hit the wall, hard, at turn 5, bringing out the second safety car of the day. All day drivers were having gutsy cracks at over taking competitors, the gustiest belonging to Whincup’s outside move on Dean Fiore.
Rightfully, James Moffat was given a drive thru penalty and a 5 second hold after an unsafe release from pit lane. And, controversially, Mark Winterbottom was penalised for spinning Greg Murphy after he tried to avoid contact. With gutsy moves, bad mistakes, race ending smashes and controversial penalties being dished out by race control, fans are calling this the most exciting race of 2011.
To mention, this article was written with 20 laps to go. As a mention, the end to the race is quite bizarre. With a lot of cars running out of fuel, they are parked all over the track as a result. Caruso and Van Gisbergen had a massive collision, Gisbergen makes it over the line to finish in third. The championship will go down to the last race tomorrow.

For all your Saturday race updates head to www.v8supercars.com.au

TOP 3 RESULTS SATURDAY
Pole Position: Will Davison
1st place – Craig Lowndes (Car #888/Triple Eight Race Engineering /TeamVodafone)
2nd place – Garth Tander (Car #2/Toll Holden Racing Team)
3rd place – Shane Van Gisbergen (Car #9/Stone Brothers Racing)
December 3rd, 2011 at 07:27am