Activism

I always get the feeling that I'm not doing enough. That I'm not enough. That I'll never amount to anything. Sometimes I wonder if that's just a teenager thing, but it feels so much deeper than that to me.

I think that compassion is - or should be - the most exercised human emotion. And with compassion should be action.

Maybe I'm coming off a high from watching Kony 2012, but when I really think about everything that goes on, there is so much to be done to create a perfect world. And even though a perfect world may not ever exist, why need to at least fucking try.

I want to change the world. I want to have some impact on how the future will be. That's why I have picked my career choice to be a teacher. That's a job I'd feel good doing because it has some impact on the future. Just knowing that I may be able to reach out, education and help stirs something inside me and I love that feeling.

There's so much I want to say, but I just hope somebody is listening (or reading).

I want to buy a camera, go down to Saturday Market (cause I live in Portland) and capture every activist on camera. I'd ask about their cause and what draws them to it. I want to immerse myself with people who are passionate and care about our world, our laws, what's right and what's wrong and I want to show other people what's happening and how we can change it.

I'm researching charities and programs in the Philippines. I've often felt the Philippines is a lost cause but there is so much potential there and it kills me how disgusting the aristocratic families are. I want to figure out a way to make the life my cousins and relatives live, bearable. But I can't even find a starting point.

I may already have. I only buy recycled clothing from second hand shops, or ask manufacturers where their clothing is made to make sure it's not a severe sweatshop in the Philippines or Brazil or India. But I still feel like that is so little.

As I said before, there's so many steps to making a perfect world. Wouldn't you want to be a part of that?

In my eyes, activists are revolutionizing culture, what we see and the way we live. I want to be apart of that. I want to be an activist.
March 8th, 2012 at 05:59am