You'll Always Be Accepted To Me, I Promise.

A while ago my mom got off the phone with my aunt Teresa and apparently my cousin (her daughter) Diana had another fight and ultimately my aunt Teresa kicked Diana out. They've been going at it back and forth for many reasons and my aunt has repeatedly told my mom how fed up she was getting. The main fight tonight that was the last straw? Diana is a lesbian. Something she's kept secret for two years now from her parents. I only know this because she told me at family gathering two months ago. I'm still unclear as to how my aunt Teresa found out about Diana being a lesbian, but she flipped her lid and now basically Diana's going to stay with her father for a while because she has nowhere else to go.

If we had the room, I would've gladly offered Diana stay with us, but given as the house is already full, especially with my gf staying here every other day, we don't have any extra room to spare. Point being is that I consider Diana to be a very cool cousin and we have the same taste in music which is rare in my family. She's 19 and works so it's not like she's a bad person. She's done drugs and had struggled with depression, especially hiding the fact that she's a lesbian because my aunt Teresa is extremely religious. It's no surprise she freaked out, I just didn't think things would go this far. I feel really bad for Diana because she doesn't deserve to be shunned by the most important people in her life.

This is what got me thinking though. Who's to say in the upcoming years my unborn son or daughter might one day come to us and say he/she's gay. What am I going to do? Am I going to react the way my aunt did? To be honest with you, absolutely not. I'm sitting here wondering if I "were" to react like my aunt and ultimately kick my child out for being gay, it upsets me man.

I want my child to know that whatever he/she decides to do or what sexuality they will be, I won't care. I won't turn them away and shut them out of my life because I disagree with their lifestyle. That's not who I want to be and that's now how I want to picture my child growing up.

To my peanut, I just want you to know that in this short time I think about your life 24/7. What you're going to be like, what you will do with your future, it's a lot to take in. But no matter what always remember that whatever you choose, we'll be behind you. I promise not to shut you out and will support you like a real father will.

All religion and differences aside,

Just don't ever feel like you have to hide who you are. Be yourself and I promise to love you no matter what.

Sincerely, dad.
April 30th, 2012 at 05:21am