One Down

There are only two weeks left in my freshman year of college. So many things have changed within the last year. I miss the homemade dinners and seeing my best friends everyday. Sure I've made new friends but the relationships I've made here aren't the same just yet. Some of my closest friends have been just that for over 10 years for one and 8 years for the other. It's been a little hard realizing that the people I used to talked to about my problems aren't always available.

I've learned that there's nothing wrong with having some self-respect. I've seen some girls wear and say some things that just make me disappointed in my generation. Sometimes I've even questioned their sanity, like don't you know it's 30 degrees outside. What are you doing?

I vow now to never become like them. Yes, I like going out and having fun but I know my limits. I will never do anything just because everyone else is doing it. This year has also made me realize things take a lot of effort. Staying friends with people from high school takes an effort from both parties. Getting to know people on campus takes an effort. You can't just say hi to someone from time to time and expect them to be your friend. I've also realized that sometimes I can only depend on myself. I shouldn't let the lack of a friend present or a change of plans keep me from going somewhere or put me in a difficult situation. There is something about everyone that annoys someone else. Next year I'll go out more and meet more people. I'll expand my connections. I'll continue to study hard but maybe let loose a little bit. It's college and after this it's into the work world and things like mortgage, marriage, and children. I should have fun while I can but not forget who I am. One year down three to go.
May 2nd, 2012 at 06:19am