Bad Things Always Happen in Three's

The first time I experience the wrapth of bad luck was in September 2006. Australian icons Steve Irwin, Peter Brock and Esme Melville all tragicly died in the space of 10 days.

Steve Irwin, also known as The Crocodile Hunter, was well known world wide for his work as a conservationalist. He was the founder of Australia Zoo, and telivision series 'The Crocodile Hunter', which he co-hosted with his wife, Terry Irwin. On September 4th, the Australia hero was stabbed in the chest by a barb of a stingray while snorkelling off the Great Barrier Reef. Irwin was filming a documentry titled 'Deadliest Catch' when the fatal accident occured.

Peter Brock was Australia's most successful motor racings driver, and is still to this day known as The King of the Mountain. He won the Bathurst 1000 endurance race a total of nine times, the Sandown 500 touring car race nine times, the Australian Touring Car Championship three times, the Bathurst 24 Hour challenge once, and was inducted into the V8 Supercar Hall of Fame in 2001. Brock's life abruptly ended when he skidded of a downhill left-hand bend three kilometers from the finish of the second stage in the Gidgegannup race, and hit a tree. He was killed instantly on impact while his co-driver was raced to hospital in a serious, but stable condition.

Esme Melville was best known for her frequent appearances in Australian hit television series 'Prisoner', 'Blue Heelers' and 'Neighbours'. On September 29th, the Herald Sun newspaper reported that Melville had died on 14 September 2006 after "a short illness".

This was not the last time I witnessed a series of misfortune such as this. In October 2010, the engine in my 1994 VR Commodore lost oil pressure and blew up the day before my drivers test. The engine in my Dad's 1977 LX Hatchback Torana also lost oil pressure and blew up, causing $13,000 worth of damage to the drag car. And lastly, the new engine in my Dad's 1981 WB Statesmen also lost oil pressure, luckily the engine was still under warrenty. All three cars, all without engines in the space of fourteen days.

In October 2011, the engine in my Commodore once again had to be replaced after over heating when my temperature guage stopped working. The headlights on my Dad's 1974 LH Torana stopped working on his drive home just after midnight. And lastly, the wiring on his Statesment completely gave out, resulting in almost $800 worth of damage.

In the past five days I have had two doses of misfortune. On June 14th 2012, my Gramps had a heart attack which almost took his life. A day later, his lungs stopped working after battling cancer for the past three years. May he rest in peace now that he is pain free, but that does not stop the pain from our loss. On June 19th, I hit a cow in my Commodore driving home from work at 7pm. Thankfully, I almost missed it, so the only damaged recieved was a broken windscreen, and the cow continued to cross the road like nothing had happened. Now I am without a car until Tuesday next week.

Bad luck always comes in three's... Now I am afraid to see what is going to happen next.
June 20th, 2012 at 01:25am