Angels and Stars (story review)


Angels and Stars by HangMeFromTheHeavens


For those of you who don't know, I hosted a contest and Angels and Stars won HangMeFromTheHeavens second place, and therefore she picked three prizes and her choices included a story review. Naturally, the review is also being posted as a comment on her story, but I figured I'd post it here for people to read as well.

Angels and Stars is a short story of 984 words based on the picture provided in its summary. Within its paragraphs, it tells a sweet first-person narrative account of two lovers. In essence, the story starts when one of the two, a girl named Taylor, texts her girlfriend (the narrator of the story, Sky) to meet her by a familiar, old, run-down and out-of-use train trestle for a surprise.

Normally, at this point, I'd give some criticism on the piece. Honestly, there isn't really much to criticize. There were one or two grammatical errors, but that's something that everyone misses once in a while, I know I do. I can criticize myself in the fact that I really am not supposed to be writing a review in first-person...oh well. Anyhow! I thought the last two paragraphs were cute. They did draw a little away from the story where Sky's thoughts change tenses when she thinks back to the memory four years prior, but within her memory the tenses don't match and that drove me insane a little. When the tense changes back to simple past tense one sentence after the memory is thought back to, it feels like the story has come back to the "present" time the story was about, but it is still actually part of the memory. If the tense matched, it'd be a little easier to read that quicker and more fluidly.

By the very end, however, everything is wrapped up neatly and tied with a bow showing that wishes really do come true when you wish upon a star and that angels really exist. It's a sweet conclusion to an adorable, cute, and beautiful piece.

And she has some other, amazing works out that I highly recommend anyone who reads this read. HangMeFromTheHeavens is just an amazing author.
July 12th, 2012 at 04:14am