One nineteen-year-old's quest for the recognition she deserves.

Let me start by saying that I am not of sound mind. These past two months have been very emotionally and physically taxing on me. I need to rant, or a drink, which ever one comes first! (You hear that, Mibbians? Anyone else need a party?)

I am a sophomore in college going for a degree in Art Education. I come from a lower middle class family that lives paycheck to paycheck. If it wasn't for my one and only scholarship and my sad minimum wage job, (I did well in high-school, just not well enough. And my family makes 1,000 dollars more a year then the cutoff for government grants. Double screwed.) I would not be attending college right now. I do not want to take out student loans, because the degree I am intending to receive pays even less than a fast-food restaurants' General Manager would earn. It would take me AT LEAST twenty years to pay them off. I'm not all about planning to pay something twenty years into the future! I don't even know where I'm going for lunch tomorrow (that is if I scrounge up enough quarters for the dollar menu.)

Last semester I failed my remedial math class, (don't you dare laugh) making my GPA too low to keep my scholarship without penalties. I spoke with my advisor and councilor and they both assured me I DID NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES have to take it again over the summer to receive the scholarship for the upcoming fall semester. They assured me that I WOULD INDEED get the scholarship, but if I did not make .05 GPA above the normal required GPA, which is 2.5, I would then lose it for the next semester I attended. Being informed of this, I quickly scheduled my summer off, giving me time to only focus on work and getting my health back on track.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my summer.

Yesterday, when I went to check on my tuition and scholarship at my college, I was told that I had lost my scholarship and I had to pay the full amount of 2,678 dollars. I believe my jaw hit the floor. I quickly tried to explain what my advisor had told me, but the the office attendant wasn't having it.
In 3 seconds, all of the money I had saved to go to Europe next summer was gone, with the swipe of my debit card. Every single dollar I had saved for books was gone. Everything was gone.
As soon as I got home, I cried to my mother and she consoled me for hours. I cried more seeing the hurt on her face, knowing there was no way we could pay for the next semester between our bills. Now, I'm completely lost. I don't have gas to make it to work until I get paid again in two weeks. I don't have money for books. It would take me FOUR months to get money to pay for books.

After crying for hours, I got very, very angry. My ENTIRE life has been thrown off course because of people being misinformed and not doing their job correctly, and what gets me the most, is that they don't even care. I quickly scheduled an appointment with my advisor so I could call her out on her extremely horrible mistake.

Today, I met with my advisor. She did not apologize and she did not offer me any alternative options. She told me that these things just happen...
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? They just happen?
She ruined my entire life and she didn't even apologize or try to find other options for me. I couldn't believe it! No one cares about anyone else but themselves. I could possibly not finish the two years of college i have left because of one person's mistake and I am furious.

Monday I have a meeting with the chancellor of the college. I plan to demand alternative options from him, and a promise to do something about the misinformed staff.

I really hope I'm not the first one that this has happened to, but I swear to God I will be the last.'

(Edited and re-uploaded; Because apparently I was "bashing" before.)
August 3rd, 2012 at 11:55pm