Society and Why I Hate it

Society. It works for some people. Structure is often needed for people to function properly. If you are in need of a different environment to flourish, you are often cast aside. For most people, small tweaks to personality and appearance are needed in order to fit in with the "adult" world (That's right, this is a teenager ranting about how everything is unfair). For others, major improvements are needed if fitting in is desired. Then there are people like me. I simply do not fit in, nor do I want to. I'm weird. Even though all thinking humans have at least some opinions and preferences, I do not get to do anything that my elders deem embarrassing or useless. Why, you might ask? I'm an embarrassment. Unbeknownst to me, my entire family has decided that I am not allowed to go against society's conventions of what is polite, average, and good. Example one of how much of an embarrassment I am: I never say more than is needed on the telephone. A simple "hello" is my greeting of choice. Every yes or no question asked after the initial engagement is answered with a "yes" or "no" unless an explanation is requested. I say goodbye after the conversation has ended and simply hang up the phone. This is "rude". I do not dress for fashion, though most of my peers do. Instead, I strive for comfort when choosing what clothes I will wear for the day. Being just a bit different from others causes me great pleasure. This is "unseemly". While others dress in all colors imaginable, I prefer the color black. Those who I choose to associate with do not seem to mind. I am an "eyesore". Unlike the vast majority of humans, I do not strive for social acceptance. I do not care what those around me think of me. They can think what they want, I can believe what I want, and we can just agree to disagree. "No, that's wrong." replies society. "You need to care what others think. That is all you are." it speaks again. I believe that society is in the wrong here. Those who are different should not be shunned, but rather embraced. Similarity and structure may be needed for those who need rules to follow, but not for me. Is that so wrong?

~Freak
November 16th, 2012 at 12:34am