The thing is, when I get a job, I'll have to deal with PEOPLE

These people will more than likely yell at me or at the very least, try to talk to me.

Now it's not that I'm holier-than-thou or anything. I'm not uptight or think I'm better than people.

I just don't fucking know how to handle them.

Image

The vast majority of my friends are behind a computer screen, voices on the other end of a phone, or nerdy faces on Skype.

And I love them. You know why? When they tell me something, I can take a minute to think about the best way to react. I can reread that text or pretend there's lag. That makes me seem way less awkward than I really am.

Now when it comes to random encounters, I'm totally cool. Hot dude delivering our couch? Got that shit. I can fake charisma and normality.

But when put in a situation where I'm supposed to befriend someone...I have no frickin' clue what to do. This is an actual conversation I had with a girl who tagged along with me, my brother and sister-in-law to a concert.

Me: So do you like video games?
Her: Oh, I don't really play much of those...
Me: That's okay! Uh, books?
Her: I'm not really a reader...
Me: ...Music?
Her: Oh you know, a lot of different genres. This band is nice.
Me: *blank stare* Television?
Her: I don't have much time for shows.
Me: Uh...What do you...like?
Her: Oh, I play softball! What sports do you play?
Me: Well if I could swim, I always thought I'd be a great swimmer. I think that's a sport.


Image

I have nothing to share. No exciting tales or fun little talents.

My record for sleeping is seventeen hours, I have a short-temper, for some reason people find me amusing, and I have some interesting facts about animal dicks up my sleeve.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm bringing to the table.

I can very easily count on one hand the number of people who don't make me squirmy, and who in turn are not made squirmy by me. I'm a vain, socially inept, abandonment-issue-ridden nine year old in a seventeen year olds body.

and yet this spring I have to get a job that makes me have to deal with people on a regular basis. Society requires me to be nice and act normal so I can make money, so I can buy my own apartment and retreat to a solitary existence with a pet iguana and maybe a ferret.
Image
And what's worse: My mother expects me to make friends. With people. Like talk to them and convince them to like me so we can...I don't know...breathe together or something.
Image
January 4th, 2013 at 05:56am