I was completely discriminated against...

... For my age. This is the first time (Though, I'm sure it isn't the last.) that this has happened to me.

Let me 'splain.

Image

Every year since I graduated high-school (So three years, for those who don't know me. :3), I've helped my mom judge a speech competition that I used to compete in while in school.

There are anywhere from fifty to a hundred kids who attend this competition each year, from roughly five different schools, and there are a bunch of different things to compete in.

There are always three judges on the judging panels for each category, and they're usually speech or English teachers, though sometimes they're just volunteers from the different schools.

Anywho, I got my judging assignments for the first round, and went to the correct room. I introduced myself to the "host judge" and took my seat next to him at the table, where we waited for our third judge.

After about a twenty minute wait, she finally graced us with her presence and...

LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING.

Image

She looked right at me, gauged my age from my looks, and instantly unloaded numerous glares in my direction.

I thought I felt her kick my chair as she passed behind me to take her seat...

Image

She took her seat to the left of me and proceeded to lean over me and basically smack me in the face with her arm as she reached over to shake hands with the "host judge".

It was funny. She never introduced herself to me.

Image

And every suggestion I made, she just shot down.

She questioned every penalty/comment/score I gave to each of the kids.

She threw her judging sheets at me instead of handing them over to me to pass to the "host", like a normal person would.

Image

Not to mention, she giggled and talked about and made fun of some of the kids' speeches with one of her students who was sitting with her.

HOW UNPROFESSIONAL IS THAT?

Image

I'm there, giving constructive criticism and help these kids learn how to give a speech better, if I can.

This is my third year as a judge and my eleventh year doing public speaking related things in general.

And I am there judging in a suit and heels with my make-up done and my hair combed.

And yet, because I am young, my opinion as a judge does not matter.

HOW EXACTLY IS YOURS THAT MUCH MORE VALID?

Even if it was, why does that give you an excuse to treat me that way?

Image

Ughghghghgh. Anyway.
How are you lovely Mibbians today?
March 14th, 2013 at 02:50am