Father's Day (and why I want to just sleep right through it)

So not sure if anyone actually clicked on this, but yes the title was me implying that I don't like Father's Day. Unlike a lot of my friends and even some of my family members, I don't have a dad.

I can't just go into the next room, give him a hug and say "Happy Father's Day." I can't call him to tell him that or hear his voice. I haven't been able to do that for just about 17 years of my life. The only way I can spend Father's Day with my dad is if I go to a cemetery and stare at a stone.

For those of you that don't know me, my dad died when I was three and a half. He was only 33 and he died from a stroke. My sister was only a year old so she doesn't remember him at all other than what my mom tells her. I remember very little of my dad and it sucks. Father's Day for me is just a constant reminder of the fact that I don't have my Papa with me and it fucking sucks. The only thing I know and remember is that he loved music a lot. He's probably the reason I love music as much as I do.

But I'd rather sleep through Father's Day so then I don't have to think about the fact that he's not here. It's just too painful for me.

I know not everyone gets along with their dads and I know some have very good reasons as to why they don't, but to those who just get mad for silly things like maybe not getting you the concert tickets you wanted or things like that, just stop it. Appreciate the fact that your dad is there for you and spend as much time with him as you can. Unlike me, you still have that chance.
June 16th, 2013 at 04:32pm