Is It Better to Have the Same Religion as Them or Not?

I grew up in a Christian household and, for the most part, this wasn't a problem. Up until I was about...fourteen or fifteen, perhaps a bit younger, I do not remember thinking of religion. While both parents are Christian, neither of them went to Church. I have never gone to Church. [do you capitalize church?]

When I first started thinking of religion, it was around the same time I had begun thinking of matters regarding sexuality and gender. When I look back, compared to others, I was a little late on those matters. Sexuality was a little earlier compared to the others, around when I was thirteen and in the eighth grade. When I was fourteen, and on the internet quite a bit, I had begun to think I was atheist. That, in regards to this little man writing this blog, was just a phase. I am far, far from being atheist. When I was about fifteen or sixteen, after going through a short period where I was agnostic, I started to think about Christianity. I did know about it. Out of all religions it was the one I knew about the most.

When I look back I wonder why I don't remember hearing either of them speak about religion, or sexuality, or matters regarding gender...Was I not around when it happened? I spent a lot of time alone or outside with friends.

I do not remember what I thought I was after thinking I was Christian, but as of the moment...I do not know what I believe. I believe that all is possible. That it all exists and that is about that. Practicing religion...I am not much cut out for it, and admire those who are. Besides believing...actually doing something to worship a god, goddess or gods and goddesses is close to impossible. I have tried, yes, but I get too distracted.

On to the main matter of this blog:
Is it better to have the same religion as them or not?

If I shared the same religion as them, well, I might not get so pissed off at some of the things I hear from them. Not in regards to the actual faith, but views they say are born from that faith. Such as being against homosexuals (or just homosexual sex, which the father figure describes as "a sign the anti-Christ is coming") or those who are transgender. (such as I, though he doesn't know.)

Though I still would be, I wouldn't doubt. Knowing who I am, I would never believe such views. That's absurd.

Save that for them.

I think it is great to be diverse in views within a household; it breeds diversity and acceptance as long as all parties can accept the other's beliefs. You get to learn more about other beliefs and religions through that.

The problem is if you are degraded for having other beliefs or are automatically assumed to share the same beliefs without being asked.

I cannot describe the amount of times I have been told, "you know, God loves you" or "if you just listen you'll hear him" or things that are insulting to what I am. He also, last night, said that girl [the one who was shot by the Taliban?] is the anti-Christ. Because of the fact that everyone listens to her.

I think, when it is presented in such a way, that differing views of religion can in some ways be harmful. But if the parties are accepting then it can be very useful and a learning experience for all involved.

What are your views on this? [I am sorry if this is a bit confusing, it's early and I am tired.]
July 21st, 2013 at 04:22pm