Concert Rambling: A Day to Remember Edition

First off, a pat on my back for actually getting out and doing something besides working and writing.

Last night I went and saw The Ghost Inside, Pierce the Veil and A Day to Remember in concert. My friends bought tickets and then my best friend’s girlfriend couldn’t go so he invited me along. I’m glad he nominated me because it was awesome! Originally it was supposed to be in this huge outdoor area where they hold the Exhibition every year (and where I’ve seen Marianas Trench twice) but it got moved to this much smaller indoor venue. Honestly, that part was shitty. It would’ve been much better if it was outside. This venue was way too tiny to hold all the people that showed up (the line almost went all the way around the block). Thankfully someone was saving us spots near the front of the line so we didn’t have to go all the way back. I wouldn’t be surprised if some people weren’t able to get in because of limitations. Anyway, once the concert started going things got sweaty real fast. The floor was incredibly tiny and people were packed shoulder-to-shoulder in there, like sardines. But we were still jumping up and down and we opened it up to create circle pits, mosh pits, and even the wall of death. People were getting clothes lined and tossed around left right and centre but it was way cool to watch. Me being a 5’4 nothing I didn’t join in on the hardcore moshing activities, but my friends did. The only injuries were some bruising and a slightly chipped tooth, so I suppose that wasn’t as bad as it could’ve been.

The Ghost Inside were really awesome. I’ve heard of them before but never really listened to them until last night. They had a lot of energy and they got the crowd pumped right up. They said they’d make it a point to come back to my province again and again after that concert—whether that was just something they said or if they’re actually going to do it who knows. Anyway, I enjoyed them. The crowd was great for them.

Then Pierce the Veil came out. I’ve only listened to one or two of their albums a few times. They’re good and their lyrics are amazing, but I’m not a super fan or anything. The screaming levels for them were so loud I thought my eardrums were going to burst. But they were really good all the same. All I could think about while they were on was Tumblr because they’re all over that site. Vic looked at me for a full minute and smiled and that was pretty amazing. They’re cool guys, I think. Again, I’m not a super fan, but they’re really good at what they do. They’re great live. If you get a chance to see them, take it. You won’t regret it, even if you don’t listen to them much.

It was probably like a half an hour after Pierce the Veil that A Day to Remember came out. I’d been down on the floor the whole time and it was getting so hot and I was sweating so much that I was starting to feel dehydrated. I’d grabbed a water between The Ghost Inside and PTV, but it didn’t do enough for me. So I stayed up just off the floor (there’s stairs coming up from the floor and a raised area with bars that’s ground level). My friend stayed with me even though I told him he could go down on the floor for ADTR if he wanted, but he declined. I was just too sweaty and I honestly felt like shit from being on the floor. I’ve never gotten like that before at a concert. I don’t even know what happened to me. My stomach hurt really badly and I thought I might puke but I never did. I don’t know. I didn’t want to go back on the floor anyway for fear of passing out.

Anyway, ADTR were just as amazing as I thought they’d be. Praise Jeremy McKinnon, f’real. They played all the best songs, like ‘I’m Made of Wax Larry What Are You Made Of?’ and ‘Better Off This Way’ and ‘It’s Complicated’ and way more. Plus they played a few brand new songs they hadn’t played live yet. There was toilet paper rolls flying over the crowd, confetti guns, streamers, beach balls, and even a guy crowd surfing in an inflatable boat while wearing a banana suit. I’m not sure what happened to that guy. He just kind of disappeared into the crowd in the blink of an eye. I’m not sure how one loses track of a guy wearing a banana suit in an inflatable boat but it happened. After ADTR’s set, we all started chanting ‘one more song’ and stomping our feet and clapping our hands. They came back and played two acoustic songs that were so damn beautiful I was near tears (I forget which ones they were…damn it), and then all of a sudden Jeremy was like ‘You know what? You guys want an encore? Well we’re gonna play four more songs for you.’ We were all going hard, screaming the lyrics and jumping up and down and forgetting about all the bullshit. That’s the best part about concerts: forgetting the bullshit.

And then it was over and we were chugging water and getting fresh, cool air outside and going to the nearest McDonalds for more water and iced tea. We cruised and went up on a hill overlooking the city to do some stuff (I won’t say what because I don’t need to hear the holy reprimanding from people who think they know it all), got some food and headed home, burning incense and gasoline. It was a great night and I had a lot of fun. I got an ADTR Canada shirt and a Violence bracelet, too. Ah, band merch not bought online just feels so fresh.

Now I’m home after getting a good sleep and my legs really hurt so I’m taking it easy. I’m probably just going to sit here and drink a Palm Bay and watch The Clockwork Orange or Bram Stoker’s Dracula, or maybe more episodes of Hemlock Grove. I haven’t decided yet. I’ll start writing more tonight or tomorrow sometime, I promise. Wild One is the next to get updated! And if you haven’t checked out my original fiction Dirty Mouth yet, please do. I’m working really hard on it.

Love you guys!
August 22nd, 2013 at 09:28pm