First week is freshmen and transfer week

So, I've been in uni for 6 years, 4 and a half of my undergrad career, one summer off just working at campus, and one full year (today's my anniversary!) of being a graduate student in the Master's program I'm currently in.

Because of this, first week of classes to me is no longer "WHERE THE FUCK IS MY CLASS, WHERE IS THIS FUCKING BUILDING, WHAT AM I FUCKING DOING WITH MY TIME WALKING 10 MINUTES JUST TO GET TO CLASS TO CLASS, AND WHERE DO I FUCKING EAT SOMETHING, OMG THEY JUST CHANGED THE FUCKING BUILDING FOR THIS CLASS, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO NOW, WHERE DO I GO TO, WHAT IS MY LIFE; I SHOULD HAVE NOT COME TO COLLEGE" week. Instead, it is my "lol, look at that lost freshman student, here, come to me, let me help you, are you lost?" week.

You can spot them easily and I used to be one of them: a confused look, looking back and forth between either buildings or room numbers, back to the campus maps, back to the buildings, back to the schedule, back to the buildings, look desperately to the crowd, surrender and cry (that's an exaggeration, but we've had those cases before).

That's freshmen and transfer students almost every semester. Usually you get the few that know what they're doing 'cause they pay attention to the campus-wide orientation meetings they hold months and weeks before classes start, but there are very few of them. The rest are just lost and it's up to the sophomores, junior, seniors, grads, staff, and faculty to guide them.

Of course we place welcome tables like the one I was host at a couple of minutes ago, but kids are just so reluctant to going up to us to ask us where a room number is or a building is. They just stand there like 5 feet away from you and look at the map and then at your table, but they don't ask you anything unless you ask them first.

"Need help?" and their eyes brighten up and they nod; then you can actually help them.

Others come like expecting you to know every single fucking building and room in campus. "Where is the Nursing building that it says here on the map, how do I get there?" "Where is professor _______ (insert faculty name you've never heard of because this was not your undergraduate college nor your current college)?" and then they get angry when you go to the computer and search for the offices or the buildings; some even just walk away annoyed that you didn't know. Hey, kid, I'm in the fucking college of education; I know where their faculty and staff members are, but don't come asking me about the college of health sciences when I only know two people there and two classrooms there since, you know, it's on the other fucking side of campus. Like, dude, I'm sorry I don't know everything.

Of course then you get those little lost souls that just stick to you and ask for your e-mail, phone number, can I text you, can I call you, can I e-mail you, omg help me I'm lost what do I do the next 4 years here, what am I going to do with my life?

Then they get to the second week of classes and they realize it's all fine and they no longer call. It's quite amusing.

Finally you get those who have been here for a while and we vary too. You get those who laugh at the freshmen students and stick up their noses all the way up to their butts 'cause they can't be bothered by these mortals.

You get the ones that are always running back and forth between classes, work, research lab, classes, eat, library, classes, bookstore, no, I don't have time to answer your question.

You get those who act busy to not have to answer questions or help 'cause they themselves know shit.

And you get those that are like "OMG LITTLE ONE, COME TO MY ARMS; I'LL GUIDE YOU. I'LL HELP YOU ALL THE WAY THROUGH. WHAT IS IT? OH, THAT IS ACROSS THE STREET, HERE, TAKE MY HAND, I'LL WALK YOU" (that's me, btw) and people look at us like we're crazy, but, hey, we remember our days as freshmen/transfer students. It was hard and we were lost too, so a little solidarity is never a bad thing.
August 26th, 2013 at 11:54pm