Learning How to Write Boring

Okay, first off, boring to me. I know some of you love your really newspaper like material. Great for you, rock those newspapers.

So, I hit a snag when I tried to publish an article here on Mibba. The snag was largely that it was very informal. This isn't the first time I've wrote an article, I've wrote quite a few, but they were always with my voice. Never a monotone voice that I see when I read, or attempt to read, newspaper type articles.

My whole life, I have never been able to do anything I didn't like or wasn't passionate about. I learned to write from passion, but previously, even with special help, I had major trouble writing. As soon as I became passionate, I got better, on my own. I quickly got out of help, and didn't need it. That is how I function. And that said, I have never been able to read newspaper articles, or anything like that.

Its just common sense that, not being able to even read it, I can not write it. I can barely imagine surviving writing it. I imagine it would be very agonizing to me to write one, especially a long one saying all I needed it to say. The voice also wouldn't be mine, it would be very false. For that reason alone doing it would be very hard. Yes, that may sound dramatic, but its true.

I have always liked to write out my opinions on matters (who doesn't?), and I have gotten very good at it. I am able to be informative, I like to use emotion and appeal to readers and what they will respond to, intellectually and emotionally. It tends to be much more personal. Those are the articles I like to write. Strong, full of impact, while usually being informational. So I am kind of disappointed to see that is not really what they accept here.

Articles are very diverse, especially on the internet. Even professional writers write the types of articles I am more accustomed too. So I am also sort of disappointed Mibba only seems to allow for one specific type of voice and article. Especially when it is full of so many different types of writers, with so many different things to say, and different preferences for doing so. At least there is blogs to express things people wish to say, though they are likely treated differently.

That being said, I'm taking it as an opportunity to learn. To try to make stronger that weak spot in my writing, so that I can appeal to larger audiences, and so that, even if not always in my exact voice, still have my voice being heard. So now, I am going to read some articles on how to write a specific type of article.

And thus, let the learning begin!!
September 27th, 2013 at 06:39am