Mibba in the Philly news.

It should come as no surprise to anyone that I'm a devoted hockey fan. I follow a ton of hockey blogs and beat writers, so imagine my surprise when this appears in my Twitter feed.

Although it's centered around Philadelphia Flyer Claude Giroux, it speaks of hockey fan fiction on Mibba as a whole. After reading the article and praying to whatever god fan fiction writers pray to that none of my own work would be mentioned, I felt kind of irked at the end.

Maybe irked isn't the right word. Slighted? Disappointed? Embarrassed? When you're a bona fide journalist, it's easy to poke fun at teenage girls who write hockey fan fiction on the Internet. If you're the Flyers beat writer for the Philadelphia Inquirer, I'm sure it's hilarious and slightly off-putting to read a smut story about someone you write about on a daily basis.

But as both a journalist and a fan fiction writer, I'm slightly perturbed by the condescending tone of the article. Fan fiction writers are all teenaged girls with explicit hockey fantasies, basically. We aren't writers or hockey fans or ordinary women — we're horny kids with Internet access.

I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting. What do you guys think?
October 10th, 2013 at 05:20pm