I don't get why people are so mean!

I was at the immigration office yesterday trying to renew my passport because hopefully I'll be going to the States for Christmas and New Years holiday. The night before, I was on the internet looking up for passport photo requirements because I didn't want to have to take out my lip ring for the picture. A couple of websites said that it's okay to have facial piercings as long as it doesn't cover your entire face. So I'm safe!

When I had the interview, it went on smoothly and the immigration officer actually said that my hair and lip ring was cool. He asked me about my experience on getting it pierced, which I gladly share. It was a rather unusual reaction I get from people because usually I would just get stares and people would whisper behind my back. But no matter, I was used to it.

I got out to the waiting room after the interview was finished and I waited with my younger brother because my youngest brother was being interviewed along with both of my parents. I was listening to my iPod and minding my own business until this woman and her little girl sat in the chair in front of me. I smiled at her because we had eye contact but she scoffed and looked away. I didn't even know what I did wrong!

My brother saw that and he patted my back, saying just to ignore the lady. I took off one earphone because he was talking to me and I accidentally overheard the woman talking to her daughter.

I kid you not, this were her exact words: "Kamu dengerin Mama ya, janji ya kamu harus sekolah yang bener, dapet pendidikan yang bener biar jadi wanita terhormat yang punya kelas. Jangan jadi kayak dia, muka ditindink kayak anak punk nggak berpendidikan. Jangan jadi orang kampung"

Translation: "You listen to me, promise me that you will go to school, get the right education so you'll be a respected and classy woman. Don't be like her, getting her face pierced like an uneducated punk. Don't be trashy"

I swear, I must've looked like I just saw an alien walking around in the immigration office because I had my mouth open like a freaking drive-thru. That's when I realized how fucked up and mean, not to mention insensitive and inconsiderate people can be. You don't say stuff like that about a person when the person is SITTING RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. I was so upset and sad, I felt like crying right then and there. I just don't get why she could be like that, teaching her kid to think that way and judging people by their looks. Cause I can assure you, I am educated, I have class and I definitely am NOT trashy.

/smh.
November 16th, 2013 at 12:46pm