guide for smudging

Smudging, (passing through smoke,) is an ancient method of cleansing that works quite well. I’ve used it to cleanse my house, and it’s very good for smaller items and for cleansing your aura.

When smudging a room, work in one direction, spiraling to the center. Which direction you use is up to you - try both. Counter clockwise is usually considered banishing; clockwise is invoking.

I usually use Ceremonial White Sage, but garden sage works equally well. Pinon Pine, if you can get it, is super. Pine, of any kind, is generally thought to bring in desirable positive energy; while the sages are more for banishing the negative. Both can be used during the same smudging ritual.

You can use powdered sage or pine on charcoal, or a smudge stick. I prefer a small wad of the leaves. Carry a heatproof container (ashtray) in your left hand; the smudge in your right.

For a room, try to start near, but not in front of the door, sweeping the smoke into all corners; up to the ceiling and down to the floor. If you use leaves or a smudge stick, knock the ashes off often, so you won’t catch anything on fire. It’s a good idea to keep a container of water close by, just in case.

Repeat the following, if you wish, during the smudging:
***From the Element of Fire
Comes this smoke, which is Air.
From the Element of Earth
Grows this plant, which is Water.
I call upon the Elements and the Blessings of Spirit
To please cleanse this (area, space, being, etc.)
For the good of all.***

Continue til every inch of the area has been touched by the smoke and you feel that you’re done.

As with any magickal rite, intent and visualization are important. Visualizing the movement of energy adds a lot of power to the cleansing procedure.
February 10th, 2014 at 09:17pm