A blog for MusicIsMyLight !!

In case you don't know (which you probably don't) I have just finished up my Interesting Photo Contest, my first hosted contest on Mibba.

Mibba user MusicIsMyLight won third place with her dramatic entry All I Ever Wanted

All I Ever Wanted is about a sweet young girl named Elle who is madly in love with a boy named Dane. The only problem is Dane is of a different race than her and it upsets her conservative and religious parents. Though Elle is a sweetheart, she refuses to let anything come between her and her love even if it means losing everything.

Excerpt:

"Elle Harris, what have you done to me?" he smiles, leaning down and brushing his lips against my own.

I giggle lightly and stand on tiptoe to wrap my arms around his neck. "It's more like what have I done to deserve you." And I take in his shocked face and plant my lips on his securely.

It's a beautiful moment, the kind that I live for anymore. At least, until I hear the sound of a gun safety being clicked off.


Since MusicIsMyLight won 3rd place with her amazing story, I am writing this blog for her. I was able to ask her a few questions about her stories.

Q: What inspired you to write All I Ever Wanted?

A: I have a close friend whose parents don't approve of her boyfriend because of his race. This story amplifies it majorly, but that's where the thought first came from. A lot of Elle's lines/thoughts are things that we've discussed, because she's working really hard to prove to them how much she loves him, and how ridiculous they're being. So it's a little bit personal, but my friend was the main inspiration for the story.

Q:How did you come up with the idea from the picture?(see contest)

A: To me, the picture (see contest) represented being pulled between two ideas, not even the people. Elle was torn between the respect she had for her parents and the life she had led so far and the love that she had always dreamed about. Her feet lean toward the person of color in the photo, indicating to me that is where she really wants to be, even though the other force is stronger, which I tried to represent in the story by making it the tragedy where the white man won momentarily.

Q: What was the most challenging part of writing it?

A: The most difficult part of writing this was probably the ending. I'm not big on writing tragedy, and this was the first major character death that I've written. So that portion was especially difficult for me to write. In addition, attempting to make it sound southern was a challenge to overcome, as I'm from central Pennsylvania, where the dialect is incredibly different.

Q: What is your favorite genre to write?

A: My favorite genre to write is definitely realistic fiction with a dramatic romance either as the main plot line, or at least to the side. I really don't like writing or reading fantasy; it's just never appealed to me for some reason.

Q: What are some other stories or poems that you've written on here that you'd like your fellow mibbians to know about?

A: Another original one-shot of mine that would be great to receive more attention is When White Became Death. It never really received any feedback, and I'd love to get some. Most of my writing is bandfiction, so if you're interested in Pierce the Veil, Mirrors on the Outside/Can't Keep Running would be good for you, and The Professor for any Motionless In White fans. As far as poetry is concerned, my top four are "I Am a Writer, How You Changed Christmas, Overdose, and Define : Broken".

I'd like to thank her again for entering my contest and if you're reading this you should definitely check out some of her other stories.
March 2nd, 2014 at 11:06pm