The Starbucks Experience

Through my first one and a half quarters at university, I find myself spending a lot of time at Starbucks. But I'm in Seattle. Surely I can find some better coffee than that rubbish?? This sentiment has been expressed to me multiple times in varying forms by different coffee snobs. Well I am not a coffee snob. In fact, I hate to say it, but I’m actually more of an Early Grey tea person. Before college, I only drank coffee on random, isolated occasions. I know, scandalous, isn’t it? I drink at least three coffees a week now.

But recently I got to thinking…why do I spend such an inordinate amount of time (and money, mind you) at a coffee shop that serves substandard coffee (at least according to the coffee experts)? Well, the fact that this particular Starbucks is literally across the street from my campus was important, since the convenience of this location certainly end up in me making several visits a week.

I could also cite my roommate, a self-professed caffeine addict who absolutely adores Starbucks, as a reason for my new love for the chain. I mentioned to her the other day that I never used to drink Starbucks back in San Jose and I wasn’t really sure why I was so keen on the coffee all of a sudden. She gave me an incredulous look. It’s not about the coffee, dude. It’s about the Starbucks experience. When I thought about it for a while, I realized she was completely right.

I remember when I had my first Starbucks coffee. I was about ten years old, and I was in New York City for the first time. It felt so sophisticated to walk around the city clutching my cup of coffee like the protagonists in every romantic comedy ever made. I didn’t even finish it, I don’t think, because it was New York City in July, which meant I was probably sweating my ass off. I can tell you what I ordered: it was a tall latte, and I know because it’s the same drink I have next to me as I type this.

Another appealing aspect of Starbucks is the universality. I am literally drinking the exact same drink I drank eight years ago on the other side of the United States. It’s a wonderfully comforting thought that no matter where in the world I am, I can walk into a Starbucks and order a tall latte and all will be right in the world.

The Starbucks experience that my roommate was talking about is one that brings back customers day after day. The warmth of the paint colors on the wall and the matching furniture, tables and sofas and chairs. There’s soft music playing; nothing too upbeat, just typical relaxation music…wow, this could be your living room, couldn’t it? And then you go to the register and make a definitive decision for once in your life, whether it be an uncomplicated tall latte like me or an extra hot grande caramel latte with five shots of vanilla, like my roommate orders.

Then what does the cashier do? He smiles at you, and asks for your name. God, they reel you in. I've been told multiple times that my name is love. Even if they spell it wrong, there’s something very intimate of giving your name to a stranger. Here’s your receipt; your latte will be ready soon, they say. I nod and thank them. Now I either find a place to do my homework and plug my laptop in, or I wait patiently for them to call my name. Have a nice day!

Boom. Suddenly this cup of coffee is the most amazing cup of coffee you’ve ever had. Suddenly you want this coffee that Linda the barista has put so much effort into, to taste fantastic. So it does.

Starbucks employees aren’t just trained to make a decent cup of coffee. They’re trained to make you feel at home and happy in that coffee shop. So, even though their coffee may be substandard to some people, I quite like it.

And I think there millions of other people around the world who would agree with me.
March 6th, 2014 at 02:12am