Dress Code is Law and School Safety Survey

Numero Uno.
As most of you know, I'm from a small town in southwest Virginia. This town is called Ferrum and it's in Franklin County. Now, technically, I don't live in Franklin County. Actually, I live five miles outside the border in a nearby county called Patrick, but that's no use to this story... In other news, this story shall get very technical and nitty gritty when it comes to the idea of "proper dress".
Today, I wore a floral print dress. The skirt was slightly poofy, it was strapless, and it followed the "index card" rule of length of the dress code. I wore a jacket with see through sleeves over top of it which somehow follows dress code also... I don't know why though...
Anyways, I walked through three classes and when I got to lunch, a mishap happened. My lovely, lovely boyfriend, Jeramiah, opened a two liter of Dr. Pepper after it had been shook up. It hit my left side and his right, but it soaked my sleeve and was freezing cold for a girl in a dress. I walked to fourth in the dripping in the soda and as I sat down at class, I pulled my arms out of my sleeves, but kept the jacket covering me. Class went by slowly and when we got "project time" for our History class, the teacher, approached me, told me to put my arms in my sleeves and literally didn't give a single thought about the fact that I was already freezing in the wet dress. I complied and worked through the rest of class. Before I left to go to the bus, she pulled me off the side and said, "I don't want to see you in that dress again. You're breaking three of the school's dress code regulations. She said, no shoulders, too short, and too much cleavage. Damn.
From the Franklin County Public Schools handbook itself, it says,
Skirts and dresses may be no higher than three inches above the top of the knee (Index card rule... Mine wasn't above that high.)
Low necklines, bare midriffs, and overly tight clothing are not appropriate dress for school (Mine was low, but I had it covered.)
Clothing which is disruptive, provocative, revealing, indecent, vulgar, or obscene (Now, I couldn't find the technical one for this, but it falls under the no shoulder rule.)
and...
any see-through clothing (How do I get away with my damn jacket?!)
Anyways, school dress code is a heavy policy that I continue to say is stupid. For one, most of the rules do not seem to fall for guys. They're allowed to wear shirts with no sleeves, jeans with holes wherever, anything really that girls are told not to be seen in. I don't understand this. It pisses me off too. I mean, if my teacher had the nerve to point me out, why not any guy in her class?!

Numero Dos.
Today, I also had to take a survey on, how safe do you feel in your school? I for one, do not feel safe every since I got shoved down a flight of stairs because I was dating a female at the time. Mostly it asked questions on bullying, suicidal thoughts, and how we can change the school. One question was, "How often do you think of suicide?" It struck me for a moment and I knew what the next question was be... "How often have you attempted suicide?"
When I finished the survey, I was amazed though to find that they didn't ask about the issue of self harm. They brought up, bullying for race, sexual orientation, style, beliefs, etc, but they didn't say a single thing about self harm. That struck me as odd... How... Just how? Maybe it's just me.

Oh well, have a lovely week, loves.
-Kayla VI
April 1st, 2014 at 01:24am