Time to Play the Background

Psalm 23- My thoughts on David

David here expresses God to be his everything. He doesn’t need anything because God fulfills any need, or at least takes ‘need’ away. When he is in trouble or in darkness, or a time of tough trials, God is with Him. He restores David’s soul. Much like how he is restoring mine. I need to take this walk more seriously, even though I’m preparing for a big step in my near future. But of course the only reason I am preparing is because I know God is going with me, and He wants me to go. Why? Because he guides me in the right paths for His name’s sake.

And that is what it is all about. Him. God. His sake, he guides my life.

Here’s the truth of it. I would love to be the next Francis Chan. To be the next great speaker, writer, evangelist, blah blah blah for the sake of being recognized. To be known and to be acknowledged as a smart man, a good writer, and a pretty good speaker. That is what I want, I want acceptance by this world, I want them to stop, look at me, and listen to me. I want them to listen to me because I have something to say. I have an answer that can help them, I have a joke that can make them laugh, I have a cure for their sadness, I have the path to their happiness, me me me me me me me…

I want to be on stage for me. And I’m not alone; I know all of the performers of Christian rap like LeCrae, Tedashii, Trip, Andy, all those guys rap about the same thing. And they struggle more BECAUSE they get to be on stage and they have a lot to answer for.

But like them, I have to struggle with this truth: I am not my own. I am God’s, and I need to give Him control, NO MATTER WHAT MY LIFE TURNS OUT TO BE. I need to be fine with the fact that I may never see another stage, or I may never speak to a single crowd.

Not as long as I have this attitude of “me”.

So here it is, Lord I pray that my struggle be a fight to live for you, and live to make myself known. Me, Johnathan Floyd is just a person who is of flesh and death. But if I have You within me, at least I can spread a good message, a proper message, a true message of You. Like David I want to be able to recognize that you are my everything, and with you I will lack nothing. The true attention I need to seek should be yours. If I was smart I would know that I already have it, and since I do I need no other attention.

Lord please continue to guide me down the path of righteousness. For YOUR name’s sake and not my name’s sake. In the words of LeCrae, let me play the background.
June 10th, 2014 at 09:37pm