The Victimized Minimum Wage

I work hard and Im dedicated. I don't work simply to get money. I enjoy my two jobs and put my heart and soul into both of them. In one of them, in less than a year I have seen many come and go. The one thing in common, that they all have, is that they are all money hungry but very lazy. This is a problem all too common with a lot of people under the poverty line and on gov't subsidies. Now Im not saying all those who live in poverty are lazy because Im not ashamed to say I do at this time and age in NY let alone the USA; But there is a rather high percentage that in my opinion has only grown that far surpass lazy. They get a job, show up only for a paycheck. That is where they stop. They show up. They don't do anything to earn it. Coming in late, having an attitude constantly, thinking that because you have nothing to do you don't have to come in until need be, not trying to better yourself, promote yourself, learn from someone else, open your mind a little, doesn't qualify you as a good employee or deserving of a paycheck. A job is not something simply to pass the time. It is not something used to tell people you are responsible and an adult. It doesn't show maturity. The first thing you do when you get fired is run to the gov't subsidies to get a bigger paycheck. I see this happen with too many people and not just at work. Friends, family, and acquaintences do the same. It's so easy to get for some people. You have to earn your paycheck. Earn your experience. Only then will you get to where you want to be in life. Waiting for some miracle won't help you and you only inflate the problem. People have become lazy, greedy, selfish, and spoiled. Why should those who work hard, try to be a better person, learn, gain experience have to constantly suffer the consequences? There are too many in my situation where we work hard, volunteer, do what we can to help others, who live in poverty but can't get any help. We can't get health insurance because we can't afford it but "qualify" for help; We make too little but work too many hours. This is all backwards. I am all for raising the minimum wage, but my question is: Will it help? If people don't care, if people don't want to work, if they don't want experience, how is just giving more money THAT WE DONT HAVE help? How can we make this backwardness right? How can we help each other? Maybe we need to start looking within ourselves. Maybe we need to stop looking for handouts. We need to earn our paychecks. We need to take control of this victimized mentality and turn it into a helpful giving mentality. As a victim you are out for yourself and believe that you are owed some debt. This has been used far too much and needs to stop. You want a nice apartment? You want food? Work for it. Before money, people had to work. That hasn't changed nor should it have. Everything becomes so much more meaningful when you work for it. When you face the ups and downs. You start to appreciate others and what they do. You won't be out for just yourself but for others. There is no greater gift than working hard and being able to help someone else in need.
June 28th, 2014 at 03:17am