This Is Living

It's taken me a while to figure out, but I think I'm finally starting understand. I finally beginning to understand why music is such a huge part of my life. For the first time, I saw New Politics live (15 November 2014). It was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I can easily say that it's one of the best performances I've ever seen—and I've seen The 1975, twice.

It wasn't the performance itself that made me understand a little bit more. It was the small notions done during the performance, such as having us shine the flashlights on our phones to be "the stars that [we] are." At point, their lead, David Boyd, said something along the lines of this: "I want everyone to stop and look around for a moment. Indianapolis, take a few minutes to look around at everything. This is how you live, surrounded by company and music to keep you going forward." And then everything seemed to make a little more sense.

My parents don't understand, but then again I don't expect them to. And sometimes, I think that's alright. This concert was the first that I've been to without a parent. It was just me and one of my best friends. (We kinda sorta felt like big kids.)

What David said made so much sense to me because I realized that I consume music on an emotional level. No, it's not tangible and it's not something you can just reach out and feel. But it's very much alive. It exists. And somehow, it does wonders for me.

FUN FACT: The word "rap" comes from the phrase "rhythm and poetry." Does that mean that every song with lyrics is a rap song?
November 16th, 2014 at 07:45pm