For Laura

Today I found out that an old friend passed away. I wasn't close to her, I only met her once, but it still pains me. I grieve for her family; her son. She was a wonderful person, and she definitely deserved more than what the world gave her.

I wanted to write something for her, a goodbye, and I have, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out where to post it. I didn't want to send it to her on a message on Facebook, I don't want to post it for her family to see. I want it to go into oblivion with her...

But I do want to share it. So here it is.

I remember the first time I met you. We were at the bar because it was your sister's twenty-first birthday. When everyone else took seats, you switched with me so I could be closer to the birthday-girl, my best friend and your sister.

You made me feel welcome, you made me laugh, and then you decided to do my make-up. Which I didn't make easy for you, considering how drunk I was.

We danced. We did shots. And you bought me a beer. I don't even like beer, but I drank it anyways.

I told you that you were my new best friend. I told you that we'd be best friends forever.

Life is funny though, because after that night, I never talked to you again. We had our own lives. I'm sure though that if we had bumped into each other again, we'd go on as if we really were best friends, because that was just who you were.

You were a best friend, you were a sister, a daughter; someone who was loved.

I'm sure that you've now found the peace you were craving, you've escaped the inescapable pain. Rest well, my friend, and may whatever you believed in rest with you.
November 23rd, 2014 at 05:50am