I Remember You

I remembe
rI remember you
And I remember that you really loved the ocean
Beachfront view and I don’t see foamy blue waves rhythmically sweeping the sand anymore
All I see is you & I at 13 years old, laughing and running into the water, splashing and laughing despite my puking up the barbeque chicken with rice and orange soda our parents supplied. For one scene, we were all smiles and mischief, not razor blades and caloric restriction. Just two teenage girls having the time of our life, doing something timelessly simple and innocent. Completely unaware that we weren’t swimming out to a cozy sandbar to gossip and giggle and make almost-eyes at cute boys, or sputter laughs as we tried to leap over the tide, no. We were a hurricane of avoidance, bee-lining towards a maelstrom of self-destruction. That day, you and I, we tried drowning deadlines and academic pressure and failed families and self-harm with our youth, with our hope, but somehow- it all found its way back to the surface. If only we knew that at the end of the day, our seashell secrets and pearly promises turned out to be washed-up dreams and suffocating disappointment. This nostalgia is too much like the Titanic- at the time it is a steel wonder that will withstand Armageddon itself. But given enough time, allow it to become a memory, and you will soon find yourself nothing more than a shipwrecked tragedy. So next time we bury each other in the sand, remember to dig a little deeper, and we’ll be princesses eternally when the tide claims us for the sea.
November 26th, 2014 at 03:41pm