The 2nd Twilight Fanfiction Turned Published Novel I've Seen

So we all know that the incredibly popular and successful Fifty Shades of Grey novel was originally written and posted to the interwebs as a Twilight fanfiction.

And we probably also know that the incredibly popular and successful Water for Elephants novel was originally written for NaNoWriMo, as well as The Night Circus, and Fangirl (by Rainbow Rowell, which is actually my least favorite of her work but still a great novel).

Now earlier this week I was re-reading one of my favorite fanfictions over on fanfic.net (Dusty) and I followed a bunch of 'favorite author' lists until I got to a story called Animate Me. When I read the summary I thought, that sounds a lot like a e-book I purchased on sale on my Kindle a while ago (I got redirected to it after buying "Fangirls" - it was one of this, If you like this, you'll like this... things). So I clicked on the story and low and behold:

I pulled "Animate Me" from FanFic on March 22nd 2013. The story has been re-edited, and illustrations were added before being published May 1st 2013. It's available on Amazon.

That's yet another novel written by a fanfiction writer that's been published.

I actually have the book sitting in my Kindle unfinished. I made it towards the end but eventually abandoned it for some Sandman Slim. I think it's a nice read but even before I knew it was a fanfiction, it really read like a just-okay interwebs fic.

Either way, I love that fanfiction writers are finding their way into publishing work - even if they have to apply some tweaks. The stories that 'make it' may not be the ones I would have chosen, but it's still inspiring to see.

Just a Question

If you could pick a fanfiction/fanfiction author to get picked up for publishing, which would it be? (Can be a Mibbian or a non-Mibbian fanfiction.)
December 18th, 2014 at 11:31pm