Reviving Unfinished Stories

Good morning everyone,

As today is Shrove Tuesday and I’m in a fantastic mood (albeit slightly tired but who isn’t!), I thought I’d take a look into my old stories, ones that I hadn’t finished. The one that stuck out the most was my motorbike AU sequel. I wrote a 30,000+ word Alex Gaskarth/Zack Merrick motorbike AU a couple of years ago, and I was so proud of it, and it was so well received that I got the idea for a sequel. I think I started that sequel and posted the first chapter (8,000+ words) about 7 months, and I feel so ashamed that I never finished it because I had it all planned out.

I guess I was just put off by the fact that I really had so much to write? And that it was a lot of heavy emotion that really needed my focus? Either way, I shouldn’t have given it up, I should’ve just trudged along. But today, I opened up the file again and wrote a 1,000 word chunk. I know that that’s not much at all in the grand scheme of things, but for me it felt like an achievement, and I really do want to continue writing this motorbike AU sequel, even if no-one wants to read it after all this time and I end up just writing it for personal pleasure. I really did love the first story and I got so invested in it, so I think it will be a good cathartic release if nothing else!

I do regret leaving stories unfinished because I know that they are worth completing, but sometimes the timing just isn’t right, you know?

Does anyone else have stories they wish they had finished or could finish? Or has anybody gotten back on the writing wagon with a story on pause? How did you do it?

xo
February 17th, 2015 at 01:01pm