Goodbye Self-Titled Life

Image

So yesterday (May 25) marked the official close to Paramore’s self-titled era. They played their last show for the Writing the Future tour in Portland and all of the Parafam have been talking about how it’s been one hell of a ride for this album. People are telling their “self-titled” stories on Tumblr and I feel like sharing mine on here.

For those who love this band as much as I do, we all know how things were for the band before this album. In December 2010, Josh and Zac Farro left the band and the fandom was torn. Paramore still made music and told us they weren’t going anywhere even if their future seemed a little unclear.

(I still love Zac but have lost all respect for Josh for reasons I can explain in the comments if you want to know.)

2013 was my senior year of high school. I was 18 when the self-titled album came out. Toward the end of my senior year, something bad happened to me. I don’t feel like getting into details about what it was, but I felt like a failure because of it. I cried a lot, shut people out because I didn’t want to affect them, and I hated myself more than ever.

But Paramore’s new album came out and I was obviously really happy about that because it felt like forever since they’ve released new music. Not to mention, I needed this band to give me some more angsty music to get through this shit I was dealing with. Only this album wasn’t angst. It was really upbeat and honestly, I loved it right away and I’m so glad it was this way because it was what I really needed.

The album’s all about growing up and changing, which was exactly what I was going through. I was graduating high school and moving on to college. It was scary, but because of Paramore I learned so much and became a better person. I was so proud of them for becoming a band who wanted to spread positivity and showing us that it’ll be okay and that it’s okay to be happy. They’ve accomplished so much and it’s amazing how we’ve all grown with them. I stopped beating myself up and hating myself, instead choosing to embrace my flaws and love the life I live. I’ve let go of some negative people who dragged me down and I’m learning to love myself.

Now I’m 20 and I’m so much happier than I used to be. I’ve reached out to some of the Parafamily online and met a lot of nice people. I’ve gotten out of my writer’s block and loving every word I’ve written since then. I’m doing more art and going out more and my cousins and I have gotten so close. I’m still singing and being more open about it.

This era has been so amazing and while I’m sad that it’s finally come to an end, I can’t wait for what the band has in store for us in the future. I just know that whatever it’ll be, I’m always gonna love them and this whole family with all my heart.
Now that all that serious stuff is out of the way. I’m gonna share with you my first impressions on each song of the album bc I don’t think I’ve ever talked about it to you guys. So yeah, this is basically what went through my mind when I listened to it for the first time in 2013.

Fast in My Car: Ooh damn, I’m loving this beat. I wonder who’s playing drums bc Zac’s gone. Whatevs, this song’s catchy and I like it. I can tell this is gonna be about a good album.

Now: I remember this one. Didn’t she have like no eyebrows in the video (still looked gorgeous tho). But whoa, “There’s a time and a place to die, but this ain’t it.”. This some revolution shit.

Grow Up: Is this about Josh and Zac bc yeah Josh needs to grow up I ain’t gonna lie he done fucked up, man.

Daydreaming: This feels so indie. I feel like I’m flying and this is relaxing in a way.

Interlude: Moving On Interlude? Wha- oh, this is definitely about Josh and Zac. Yeah, spill your guts, Josh. Now I’m imagining him slipping on them and I’m laughing. Anyways, shred on that ukulele, Taylor.

Ain’t It Fun: Hayley got that soul. She has taken me to church and now I’m clapping. DON’T GO CRYIN TO YO MOOOMMMA.

Part II: WAIT JUST A DAMN MINUTE ARE THOSE LET THE FLAMES BEGIN LYRICS I WASN’T READY FOR THIS. WHO DECIDED THIS. WHO DECIDED TO HIT MY EMO HEART. I WANT ANSWERS.

Last Hope: *holds lighter up while trying not to cry but ends up crying a lot that she’s drowning* It’s just a spark...

Still Into You: Oh hey! I know this one! I SHOULD BE OVER ALL THE BUTTERFLIIIEIEIEIEIEIEIEIES

Anklebiters: This is taking me back to Riot because I’m headbanging a lot and now my neck hurts.

Interlude: Holiday Hehe. Ramen. Get it. Fueled By Ramen. This song is so cute and how fitting is it that I’m graduating this year. But not with honors though i did end up graduating with a link crew medal

Proof: These love songs are so fucking cute I can’t take it. The only proof that she needs is Chad. Like how cute is that what the fuck I’m going to tear my heart out bc it can’t handle all this.

Hate to See Your Heart Break: Wait a minute you can’t just drop a ballad on me after Proof. This is so beautiful. I’m crying again. The violins. THE VIOLINS. Where are the tissues this isn’t okay.

(One of Those) Crazy Girls: Did we travel back in time to the sixties. Am I one of those crazy girls. AM I. BABY ARE WE OVER NOW.

Interlude: I’m Not Angry Anymore: Like are you angry or not Hayley make up ur mind.

Be Alone: I’ll be alone with you Hayley. I won’t mind because I’m alone like all the time I have no friends so be my friend please. Please.

Future: Last song and ah, it’s so relaxing. I might fall asle- WHOA MAN DISTORTED GUITARS AND I GUESS I’M HEADBANGING AGAIN and now it’s fading out but why this track still has two more minu- THE DISTORTED GUITARS AND HEADBANGING ARE BACK AGAIN AWH SHIT

And then I listened to it again. And again. And again. And suddenly it’s two years later and I’m still listening to all of it again.

Deuces.
May 27th, 2015 at 08:35am