Ignorance Really Is Bliss

Sometimes, it really is best to be ignorant because you can't unknow certain things.
Like:
Your mother staying in the house while her mother's body was rotting because she didn't know she had died and was too young to realize what the smell was.

Your father confessing that he gave his father some of his Oxys before he died and that he mixed it with alcohol because he was dying from Cirrhosis of the Liver because he was a drunk and not because of the rare blood disease, though it probably could have been part of if.

Or how about when your little brother decides it's a good idea to tell you that one of your dad's brothers unplugged your grandmother's oxygen machine after disabling the alarm, after trying to do it the day before only to have the alarm go off, because she couldn't breathe with the machine anyway. And that it had to be him because he was the only one in the house when she died.

How about realizing that your favorite uncle when you were growing up really is crazy, as in certifiable and really should be in an institution.

Or even finding out that your dad had been addicted to his pain medication practically your entire life and the first time you realized it, you were too young to understand what had happened. You had just thought that daddy had slipped in the upstairs bathroom and couldn't comprehend why the paramedics were taking him to the hospital because as far as you knew, he wasn't seriously hurt.

Yeah, sometimes it's best not to know somethings and God save you from those who decide it's best that you know "the truth" of what happened.
June 7th, 2015 at 06:24am