Day 10 of 31: Ten Random Songs

Put your music player on shuffle and write about the first ten songs that play. Explain why you like them.

1. My Kind of Man- Vance Joy
I’ve only fallen in love with this song recently. I heard of Vance Joy when I caught “Riptide” on the radio a few months back. After that, I downloaded his entire album, and it is seriously amazing. I love when the entire album lives up to your expectations of the single you heard.

2. Brightest-Copeland
I love this song because it reminds me of being young, innocent, and being infatuated with the idea of simple romantic love. I took guitar lessons for several years, from ages 13 to almost 18, and my guitar teacher was in a really popular local band at this point in time. He was always sweet to me, and called me beautiful, and his favorite student. Every lesson I took with him, he would play and sing me a Copeland song. This was the last song he sang for me after I quit lessons to go to college, and I thought that meant he liked me. Quite the contrary. I ran into him a few years later, when I turned 21, at a bar. He said he missed me being his student, proceeded to grope me, and told I grew up well and couldn’t believe I was legal now. That was probably the rudest awakening of my life. People are never what they seem. I like the innocence of this song. Takes me back to being dumb and 15.

3. Be Quiet and Drive(Acoustic)-Deftones
Every time I felt like running away or dying, I would listen to this song, and feel powerful. I really can’t give you more of an explanation. It got me through some rough spots.

4. Barcelona-Jewel
This is another song that got me through some rough times. “The churches don’t have windows, but the graveyards do.”

5. Blood Bank- Bon Iver
I’m so damn happy this song came up so I can talk about it. The first time I heard this song was at a summer program I attended between 2010 and 2011 school years. I attended a lecture about indie music, and the leader of the lecture made us all mix CD’s and this song was on it. This is my favorite song in the entire world, and I really can’t explain why. The story is wonderful. “As the moon waned to cresent, we started to kiss.”

6. Wait-M83
This song has been in every powerfully emotional scene on television or movies since it was released. I love that the focus is on the feeling, and the movement of the song. The lyrics are very simple. I want this played at my funeral.

7. Mixtape-Brand New
Apparently I’m just a depressing person. All of this music is sad. I was doing a project for a college class, and we had to choose a break up song for ourselves. Something that described the things we see as difficult in our personalities. This song is me to a T.

8. Criminal-Fiona Apple
“I’ve been a bad, bad girl.” That sums up about a 4 year period in my life.

9. It Had to Be You-Billie Holiday
My favorite version of this song, by none other than the amazingly talented Billie Holiday. The way her voice sounds in this song is incredible. Her voice is one of those voices that fills the air in the room up like a thick, sweet smoke.

10. Tangled Up in Blue-Bob Dylan
I love songs with good stories. Bob Dylan usually does a good job at this. Seriously, this song is life. Good high jams.
October 19th, 2015 at 09:24am