An Adult Thing I Hate

Handling money.

I honestly hate handling money.

At my university, we put money on our IDs and that's how we pay for our meals at the dining hall and convenient store and how we pay for our laundry and if we need to print things.

Last week I had $14 on my card. I haven't used it since yesterday. I used it yesterday because it was laundry day. It's $2.50 per load and I had three (washers are small and I like to separate my clothes). So in the end, I spent $7.50 on laundry and had $6.50 left on my card. I checked online multiple times to make sure.

Today I went to the dining hall to buy some $1.47 fries. My card wasn't scanning so I just gave the cashier my debit card. But before that, she gave me a wide-eyed look and said loud enough for everyone in line to hear, "You have a negative balance on this card".

I called my mom and we checked what happened. Sure enough, my card had a $-11.60 balance even though just last night after laundry I had $6.50 and haven't used it since. We payed it off and added more money onto the card but we still don't know why that happened.

This isn't the first time something like that happened to me. It happened to my debit card before. My account had $300 in it so then I bought tickets to see the Lion King on Chicago Broadway and they were $230 total. I had to buy more stuff for school so at the end of the day, my account balance was $12.

I didn't use the card for a week after that but next thing you know my mom is calling me and freaking out because my account had a $-100 balance all of a sudden. My transactions were showing a place that I've never been to before. We were able to pay it off but it took a while to figure out what the fuck happened (turns out the theater for the Lion King put insurance on my tickets but it was one of those "fine print" things that everyone misses so I had no idea they did that for me, let alone charge me for it as well).

So yeah. I was having a good say until this happened so now I'm frustrated. It would've been nice if the cashier hadn't announced to everyone my card was fucked but whatever. What can you do?

Time for work. I hope this crap never happens to y'all.
February 10th, 2016 at 09:13pm