About My Stories: Insecurity Will Destroy You

It's about time I got around to this. Actually, it's about time for me to be posting anything on here. It's been months since I've done anything on here, other than read things. I've done a lot of that, especially the writing contests, looking for inspiration to counteract my writer's block.

But I haven't shared anything, because of said block. It’s bad, and I'm impressed by the fact I have this up now. And it sure took me long enough. This has to be the third draft of it. I just haven't been able to get it out in a way I like.

This one seems to be good, though. I like it better already than my last few entries at least. There's just something in the tone of them that I'm not a fan of. What exactly, I'm not sure. I can't exactly pinpoint it. But hopefully since it's been so long since I've made such a post, things can be different, and I won't end up disliking this one for the same reasons (whatever they are).

What hasn’t been different is the trouble I've had with writing about Insecurity Will Destroy You, the next story up to talk about. I haven’t been sure where to begin. Part of me wants to blurt everything out right away and tell you everything. Another part of me wants to try and be a bit vague, as I may one day try to expand it into a chaptered story—and until then, want to keep some parts to myself. Any middle ground here has been very hard to find. It’s a small part of what took me so long to get this post out.

I think I got it now, though. I'll start with how it's about this guy, who I left unnamed in the story. I will admit now that he's currently named Walt, but I wouldn't doubt that I'll change it later on. The story is told from his point of view. He is in a band, which is currently named Hear the Sound. He is their lead singer, as a matter of fact. It also contains part of a song that "he" (read: me) wrote. (For what it's worth: I happened have the full lyrics up here…)

He goes on to admit how he personally connects to them. This is because Walt has some personal issues he is actually trying to hide, like the person in the song. The novel idea I have would expand more on these issues, and what happens when they are found out about. I don't want to say exactly what it is quite yet, as it's still such a WIP, but I will say that it’s a mental health problem.

This little bit of story was actually meant to be the opening of the novel. Will be yet? I don't know. But I do consider it a good piece to remind me of how I want some of it to be. As old (relatively) as it is, there's still a useful side of it.

And real quick, I just to make sure I get this in: Walt’s band, Hear the Sound? It's a little inspired by the bands I've seen fanfiction here on Mibba for. That's along the lines of where I place them, music and style-wise. More specifically, I see them being along the lines of a cross between All Time Low, and We The Kings on their first album. A little bit of some other bands I’ve found on Pure Volume and YouTube is in there, somewhere, too.

I think that’s all I’ve got for now. This post seems complete now, and I'm content with it. I said what I knew I wanted to say, without saying too much. That feels good.

Now I just hope I can come up with something for my next post…

~ S
June 9th, 2016 at 04:56am