All the Creepies-Rec Blog

I just finally announced the winners for my Creepy Cryptids and Legends Contest. Honestly, this was so hard. Everyone was at number one and it was so difficult for me to sort through them and narrow it down to three. And I feel awful that not everyone could have won. You're all winners in my book and please, please don't feel dejected. I put off posting the announcements because I was afraid of hurting anyone's feelings. I loved every single story that was entered and I'm going to hold them in my creepy little cryptid loving heart forever.

So this blog is to highlight every single amazing story that was entered and to hopefully direct more people to them. They all deserve tons of love.

Harbingers by [url= http://www.mibba.com/Member/84769/]cassiopeia;[/url]

This story features one of my absolute FAVORITE cryptids. The Black Shuck. I love Black Shucks so much I actually have a story featuring one too. The story is completed in just three chapters but it manages to spook you out. Especially if you're like me and love the Black Shuck legends. It takes place in a town that has been terrorized by three Black Shucks for years. They seem to know how to cohabitate with them, but every so often a group of youngsters (I say that like I'm an old lady) find themselves at the wrong end of a Black Shuck hunt. You will have goosebumps.

Pendle Hill by heretic.

I LOVE witches. I love witches AND ghosts. And this story combines my love of witches, ghosts, and urban legends. This story definitely feels like the kind of legend that sticks to old buildings and castles. You don't want to go in there. The witches won't like it. This is what happens when them darn kids just don't listen. Or watch enough ghost hunting shows. Remember, folks. Your urban legends exist for a reason. ;)

Liath Mor by exploding boy.

The Grey Man is a legend/cryptid that I've never heard about before now. It is another one of those legends that you really don't want to mess with. People really need to start listening to the locals, I swear. This story also felt eerily familiar. It reminded me of the road I grew up on (Ironically called Devil's Canyon). We got a lot of fog up there during the year and that road would go silent and spooky and you always felt like you were being followed. This is definitely the kind of story that makes you want to read with lights on. Or you'll start feeling like something is watching you.

The Weeping Woman by Sesshomaru.

Another one of my favorite legends is the legend of the Weeping Woman. So many different cultures and places have their own version of this story. It's also believed that she is a very specific type of spirit that is created from a woman who kills her children and then herself. This story is very spooky, especially for someone who DOES have children. It makes you want to hug your babies tight so that the Weeping Woman doesn't mistake them for her own. This story is what happens when she finds "her" children.

He's a Devil in Disguise by Phoebe Buffay

The first chapter of this story grabs you like a hook and draws you in. It has a lot of Red Riding Hood vibes at first, as this woman encounters a man in the woods. Only he's not really a man at all. You're not quite sure if he is the actual Devil or a demon, but he is definitely not human and he's got his eye on her like that hungry and cunning wolf. This story definitely makes you want to know more. Who is he? What is he? And what exactly is he planning for her?

Snow Joke by Divided

This is the longest story I received for the contest, and also the only fan fiction! It is a Supernatural fic about a monster attack the boys are investigating. It sounds very much like a yeti but is not what it seems. The dialogue and interaction between Sam and Dean is PERFECTION. They act exactly how they would act in the show (think earlier seasons). Even Dean's wit is written perfectly. If you loved Supernatural in the earlier seasons (or still) then you definitely need to read this story. It's like being instantly sucked into a real episode.

Honestly, every single one of these stories was so amazing that it hurt my heart to have to decide only on three. I don't know if I'll ever do another contest just because I got so much anxiety trying to decide. Every entry was exactly the kind of story I was hoping for and every single one of them was incredible. They are all pretty quick reads and they are worth every second. Please check them out and show the authors some love. They all did amazing jobs and deserve mountains of love. If I had my way, each and every one of them would have won 1st place.
June 18th, 2016 at 03:02am