Recipes!

Cream of Broccoli and Potato Soup (Vegan)

3 c. frozen broccoli
4 TBSP butter (I use Earthbalance)
1/4 c. flour (I use unbleached)
4 c. Cashew milk (the brand I use is SoDelicious)
1 tsp Better Than Bouillon Roasted Vegetable Base
4 c. water (add more if needed)
3-4 med. russet potatoes chopped
1/3 c. instant mashed potato mix

Directions:
1. Peel and chop your potatoes, set aside. Get a sauce pan or cooking pot and add the water (you can either add the veg base now or wait until the water heats up, either way it seems to still mix well). Add more water so that you cover your veggies. Add your broccoli and potatoes, boil 10 minutes.
2. While your veggies boil get a strainer and a bowl ready. You're going to save your veg broth after your broccoli and potatoes are done.
3. When your veggies are done strain them over the bowl. Set half of the potatoes and broccoli pieces to the side and mash the other half in another bowl. (Seems like a lot of dirty dishes but it'll be worth it).
4. Take a large 5 quart pot and melt your butter at about med. low heat then add your flour. Whisk your roux around for 3 minutes. You do not have to be furious with this. At the end of the 3 minutes add all of your milk and whisk to get most of the lumps out.
5. Whisk the roux/milk mixture occasionally on medium heat, when the milk begins bubbling whisk for another minute. At the end of that minute add your potato/broccoli mash plus the whole pieces, as well as 2 c. of your reserved broth, and your 1/3c. instant mashed potatoes. Stir until combined and thickened. You're done!

***Notes:
SPICES!: I didn't put this in the main recipe because I honestly do not know how much is used. How I season this recipe is with McCormicks Rotisserie Chicken seasoning, a few dashes plus some dashes of white pepper is perfect.

If you do not want to use instant mashed potatoes you can use 8 TBSP of butter and 8 TBSP of flour. I cut it back to save more on fat and calories.
January 24th, 2017 at 05:33am