Somber Start to 2018

Less than three hours ago, I had to put my childhood dog down. She was 16. Turned it in October. I was so excited she had lived that long. I got her when I was 7. I remember the car ride picking her up. My parents told us we were getting a Christmas tree. Then my brother and I realized no, no, we were getting a puppy! From the same litter that my Meemaw had just gotten her puppy from! We debated her name on the whole ride home. My dad chose Patches. It was after his favorite song.

She taught me love, and how to love, almost immediately. She was smart, and funny, and oh so caring. Literally everyone and everything got along with her. She loved children, and they loved her. She loved other dogs, and they loved her. Up until she died, she had so many people surrounding her that loved her with all their hearts.

I know people say dogs touch your life in ways you'd never imagine. But Patches truly did that. She truly changed my life, and changed how I care for and view others. I took care of her until her last day. I made sure she had a great life. She loved McDonald's french fries, and by god, I got her her damn french fries on Friday night. She scarfed 'em down and I swore she was smiling at me, even though she couldn't see.

She was almost my entire life. 2/3 of it. I truly don't remember a time without her. And honestly, I am not looking forward to moving on without her in my life.

But I just know, that she's out there with my father. They've been reunited, and boy, I bet it feels so damn good. He asked for her in the hospital while he was dying. So I know he's the first one that greeted her when she left this world for another. I hope they're happy and he's giving her all the pigs ears and Milkbones she can handle. And I sure do hope she and him are watching over us. Making sure we're all okay.

And that's truly how I think I am going to come to peace with all of this. Knowing that she's safe and sound with my father. And that one day, hopefully not too soon, I will see them again. And it'll be a sweet, sweet reunion.

But until then, Patches, and you too Dad, please, take care. And watch over not only me, but mom and Nick and Coral and Trixie. We all love you so very much.

Image
Rest in peace, my sweet pp-chachi. I love you.
January 23rd, 2018 at 02:53am