30 Day Anime Blog Challenge: Day 20

Music: God's Plan covered by DSharp. Can you say "YES"?
Eating: A FREAKING PANINI.
Drinking: A branded cola that starts with a "p" and ends with an "i".
Feeling: Like writing but also like sleeping. Why always with this?


_____

Mibba, how are you today? A little on the quiet side, I see. That's okay, I'm feeling a little on the subdued side myself, I didn't want to do much of anything today and I'm still really dragging, but I powered through and went to work and ate several small, decent meals and all in all it was a day, even though I didn't really want it to be.

Image

On the plus side, I re-downloaded Duolingo in the hopes of teaching myself some new languages and working out my rapidly decaying brain. Let's just hope the owl doesn't take my soul for sustenance first...

Image

_____

Okely smokely, time for yet another challenge blog.

Day Twenty: An anime character that gets on your nerves.

I mean, do I really have to pick one? Is that actually the rule, or? Can I pick an entire anime that got on my nerves? Because I feel like that's a lot easier than focusing on one character. Also, if I have to knock it down to only one character, I'll be hopping back on the show bias train. Can you tell I'm just making excuses to bend the rules? No? Okay then.

I'm changing it to an anime that got on your nerves, because it's my party and I'll cry if I want to.

Nagi no Asukara: A Lull in the Sea

Image

Image

Image

Before we all come out bearing fisticuffs, let me just say that I will never argue that the lighting and environmental animation are anything less than phenomenally gorgeous, because they are on another level. I also have to give it to them for the story and the plot; it's super intriguing and I enjoyed the concepts a lot. I felt they were well executed overall.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

HOWEVER.

The freaking characters made me want to pull out every stubbly little hair left in my scalp and then stomp on them.

Image

I don't even necessarily have good reasons why? It isn't even because of how stereotypical they're all presented, because A.) all anime contains many tropes/adheres to many stereotypes and B.) I do/have enjoyed many an anime that is even more played up in the trope area.

I dunno, they were just all really... flat? Like, they were emotional, but it was almost like when an actor who is bad at conveying emotion is trying too hard. Their personalities all feel fairly stiff and forced, even as the show goes on and one sees them start to develop.

Now, I could only manage to get halfway through the entire show because I was just so angry with every single character that it wasn't enjoyable anymore. I ceased caring about the plot, about the amazing artwork, because they were all just really grating on my nerves, and that was really disappointing. I really wish I was able to enjoy it the same way everyone else appeared to.

Image

I will say, perhaps it's just a thing with the studio's artistic choices in how they portray characters in general? Because they also put out Another, the thriller/horror/mystery anime which I was able to maintain my intrigue in and watch because of that, but come to think of it, I found all of those characters insanely annoying as well.

I mean, that sounds like I'm blaming the studio, and I'm not, I'm blaming myself and whatever subconscious stick I apparently have up there that is preventing me from enjoying/connecting with these characters.

I dunno, maybe I'm just so dead emotionally that all characters have to be constantly emotionally taxing and tragic in order for me to feel anything for them, who knows.

Image

But yeah, my pick for most annoying is Nagi Asu. I tried, I really did.

_____

On that lovely note, I'm off to lurk about on Tumblr and hopefully get a bit of writing done. I love you all, and I hope you're all having great nights.

If not, have a gremlin.

Image
March 21st, 2018 at 06:09am