1540!

If we want to become desperate the kind God is moved by we have to seize being tragic. In the yr. 1540 church reformer Martin Luther had a friend who was near dying. He was desperately ill and getting worse by the day so he drafted a farewell note to his friend but Luther would not hear of it.

Martin wrote back to him in a voice that caused the name of God to move. He said: - I command thee in the name of God to live. This kind of desperation is an ingredient lacking in churches today.

Men aren’t desperate enough to see God intervene in fallen brethren. Luther had unfinished business with his friend. The work of reforming the church had to go on and Luther had need of his friend’s companionship.

The work permit:-

Martin Luther prayed over the condition of his friend saying that the lord would not let him hear this companion was dead but was allowed to live. He continued saying that it was God’s will to let him live and that was coz God would be glorified.

The spirit of the letter:-

When Luther’s buddy read the letter his spirit was overwhelmed and he made a radical recovery that saw him live for six more yrs … two more than Luther. Luther prayed that his buddy outlive him.

This kind of desperation and faith always moves God to act in ways that attract our attention.
God is in control (Ps. 52):-

1. The people of this earth are strong. They love to brag about their misdeeds. God however can forever be trusted.
2. Brutal armies and lying tongues cut like a knife.
3. The world perfects evil doing wrong rather than good.
4. Traps are set by cruel men.
5. These men will meet the wrath of God. He will supplant them from their homes. He will hang them out to die.
6. The righteous will cringe at this sight.
7. They put their trust in wealth. They dissed God.
8. The righteous will be planted in God’s house. They will enjoy all his love for all eternity.
9. We should learn to be thankful for God’s provision. His people will give praise to his marvelous name.
July 28th, 2018 at 05:57am