Rashid’s Rankings: The 30 Greatest Horror Films (#22-19)

22: Dracula (1931)
“Dracula” was one of the first classic films (of many) by Universal Studios. Based off Bram Stoker’s novel it tells the most well known vampire story in history. Bela Lugosi’s performance as Count Dracula is nothing short of excellence.

21: Night of the Living Dead (1968)
This is the first entry in Romero’s “Dead” series and is responsible for making zombie movies what they are today. It’s by no means the first movie to feature zombies, but it is the movie that “made” the mould for how we view them today. The movie revolves around a group of people stuck in a house with zombies trying to break in from all sides. The film mixes claustrophobia with explicit violence (for its time) and does it to perfection.

20: Ginger Snaps (2000)
“Ginger Snaps” is witty, intelligent, yet quite violent and horrific at the same time. The chemistry between Emily Perkins and Katharine Isabelle is astounding and is really what made the movie for me. And this is the only movie on the list that I think overall, females would enjoy more than males. “Ginger Snaps” is the greatest horror film of the last 19 years and no one should pass up the chance to watch it.

19: Creepshow (1982)
This five-story anthology is the collaboration between horror legends George Romero and Stephen King. It is presented in a comic book style format, and relies a lot on humor and pure cheesiness. “Something To Tide You Over” and “The Crate” are more straight forward horror stories. “Father’s Day” and “The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill” are slapstick comedy. Though the fifth and final story, “They're Creeping Up On You!” I consider the best. Anyone who’s afraid of insects may have a hard time watching this one.
October 25th, 2007 at 08:32am