points with regards to metal

two pronged argument here; one on the definition and one on what i prefer....

now for the definition:
you see i recently had a big argument with an ex over metal; i beleive the quote is "so heavy metal's dark and gloomy and gothic metal's broody and depressing?"
obviously jokingly; she didn't really understand why i said that she listened to heavy metal.

this is a common assumption that heavy metal is the likes of death metal and the various sub-genres with "core" on the end. but heavy metal is much broader.
heavy metal is just one of the offshoots of the blues, it kind of went in two directions, many of the aspects went on into R&B which i'm sure you all know of... which would eventually evolve into the likes of hip-hop and rap etc.
many of the aspects were taken on by the likes of Led Zeppelin, they would create Heavy metal from this.

nowadays from Doom Metal to indie, it is all techniquely metal. using the same scales, structures, and guitar styles (whether they'd admit it or not). but the problem is now people call this 'rock.'

just thought i'd clear that up!

now for my opinions on metal:
i've recently gone more in a progressive direction, i can't really stand growls anymore unless they're the likes of virtox (disillusion) using a growl as an expressive tool instead of the base for a song... i'd go more into it, but i can't really express it in proper terms. anyway lets have some opinions: bands and the likes that you think show good aspects of metal (which is all encompassing as we have asserted!)
February 7th, 2008 at 10:46pm