Breaking News: "Get Laid", is the message of modern literature ! ahahahahah

For months and months now, I've been an onlooker to the well-known "Twilight" frenzy. Don't get all worked up now, Meyer lovers; i dont mean to insult the particular "novel" (which I got too bored to read). By "twilight" i refer to the general, teen-oriented literary offspring of today's pop culture. The mass production of books and series such as "Twilight" and "Gossip Girl", who pass themselves off as "literature"; and who are so wrongly and thoughtlessly taken as such.

Indeed, for one reason or the other, all teens end up worshiping characters such as Bella Swan, Edward Cullen, Blair Waldorf and Serena Van Der Woodsen. They create massive amounts of fan fiction and fan sites, openly declaring their love for the Twilight and Gossip Girl series. And why not, since both of those brilliant novels have a wise teaching for the inquisitive reader. On the one hand, "Twilight" shows how even perfect, flawless Mary Sues can be loved passionately by equally perfect, handsome vampire dudes. Fancy that, it really gets you thinking.
The teaching: "Get laid.
...Preferably with a dark handsome vampire".
"Gossip girl", on the other hand, has something equally useful and mind-challenging to offer:
"Get laid.
...And get rich while you're at it".

What a feast for the mind.

Most of the time, publishing such crap turns out to be the best thing in a writer's career, since it will definitely end up being a best seller. The number of those lovely loads of shit that we all adore is growing every day, and I begin to wonder: What is it about those books that people find so fascinating; what is it that makes the author classified as a "phenomenon"? Is it the stereotypical boring plot? Is it the flat unrealistic characters with no weaknesses whatsoever, who are only created to impress 12 year-old girls with inferiority complexes? Is it the complete lack of imaginative dialogue and writing emotion; the stereotypical Mary Sues fucking cute guys, getting pregnant, catfighting each other, and then going shopping to make up for it?

I read in a Mibba article that "Twilight" is a great book because "the love between Bella, the main girl character; and Edward, the main vampire character, is so passionate". Also, that Meyer is a good author because she writes "tastefuly and subtly" about sex and violence.

Is THIS what a good book is all about?
Is THIS what it takes for an author to become an idol?

I've read books that blew my mind. Books that changed my way of thinking, that introduced me to new philosophies, that got me acquainted with real, human issues. Books that represented a whole era, books that outlined a character perfectly without even describing what he looked like or mentioning his name, books that uniquely illustrated the dilemmas of human existence. How can you talk about literature as if it's all just about fucking the vampire you love, and not writing "fuck"??

For the love of sweet God Jesus our Savior, his virgin mom, the Holy Ghost and Allah. Books are meant to make you think. THINK; not daydream about Cullen, or wonder if Serena Van Der Woodsen will eventually have sex with Nate whatshisname. Books are supposed to be a feast for the mind, an eye-opener, a means by which you travel to unknown places of your consciousness. GET REAL, people, and since this is supposed to be a writing community, lesson number 1: Learn to appreciate good literature.

I'm aware I sounded quite like your average asshole. I hope you're not insulted, even though I'm sure some of you are. Anyway, it's a free world.
June 14th, 2008 at 12:14am