Pornography: Violent and Addicting, or Safe and Healthy?

I didnt know if I should make this a journal or an article, so I just went with a safe journal.

Most would agree that pornography is addictive; mostly to the overrated, over used excuse of middle-aged men. But now it's becoming more common for teenagers of both genders to watch it, and become engrossed.

I don’t encourage watching pornography, and I don’t scold it at all. That would only make me a hypocrite. There are so many negative arguments about pornography, about it being a gateway drug to child porn, making rapists out of men. Some ideas are completely made-up, and mostly don’t have the studies to be backed up.

There are no studies whatsoever that suggest pornography entitles men to be rapists. The fact that they have that sexual release might imply that they don't need to go out and commit those acts. Pornography, in many opinions, is just a safe way for violent men to get their release without hurting someone.

But Dr. Gail Dines has a different perspective. This woman is completely anti-pornography. Her views include that the industry turns men into violent rapists, that it dehumanizes women, and really, really makes people think child pornography is all right. She believes that pornography makes women seem degraded, like they're nothing more than toys men can play with. And since it has that aspect, it would make men want to rape women, right? Wrong. She claims the highest kind of porn in demand in rape porn, and they like it- in the movie! Rape is wrong. People know that. Rape is not to get off, it's not to make love and be mislead by fiction. Rape is because the man wants to display his power over a female, and does so.

Dr. Gail Dines says, quote, "We ought to have true gender justice. We absolutely have to destroy the sex industry."

What about Gay porn? Does that dehumanize women too; make them seem like playthings? I rarely see women with a man in gay porn, which would make the display of power thing rather pointless. Maybe since the rate of using porn has gone up; while the statistics of rape has gone down would make Dr. Gail Dines rethink what she's spreading to the people? Rape has been going on before pornography and now there's a healthier outlet for men.

Child pornography: a disgusting, disturbing type of porn in the world. This is actually wrong, and that makes this anti-pornography doctor somewhat right. But real porn doesn’t make people want to create child porn. Are there studies to back her up? Nope. Are there studies to back me up? Nope. I just have the sheer common sense. Dr. Gail says that almost all the time in pornography now, women shave their vaginas, this makes them seem more like children, which makes men want to go after little kids.

...What? Does that make sense? Does porn turn men into pedophiles? No; a disorder does, doesn't it? She says, "What will happen when these men have daughters?" We don’t know, they'll raise them, maybe? Not all of the time in pornography is the woman hairless, and again, what about gay porn? Gay men will have daughters too. Straight men will have sons. So what? Just because shaving or waxing makes women seem younger doesn’t mean it makes men want to go after little girls and boys. It just makes them want to date girls that take care of themselves.
Yeah, Dr. Gail Dines, it's called hygiene and vanity, not lets-make-middle-aged-men-rape-babies.

Not only are these people against pornography, they want it banned. Yes, okay, mess with the country's rights of what to do on the Internet and how to use it.
If you think pornography is really, honestly so bad, you know what you should do?
Don’t watch it.
June 21st, 2008 at 07:13am