Sequel: Hold On

Life As It Is

Comfort Zone

When a couple gets married, they immediately hit the “newlywed phase.” The phase where they can’t get their hands off each other and there’s so much love between one another that they express it every moment of everyday of their honeymoon.

This of course, was the case for Billie Joe and Ella. But it was dealt with a little more differently. After having a long history of a relationship together, the “newlywed phase” was nothing because they constantly felt that way for one another.

Standing on a hot beach in Athens, Greece, the newly wed wife stood over her husband with sunscreen lotion in one hand and nothing else in the other.

“Care for any sunscreen lotion?” she asked, waving it in his face as he lay on his towel, looking up at the beautiful blue sky.

“No, I’m good.”

“Suit yourself. You’re the one getting sun burnt…not me.” She smirked at him as he got up, took the sunscreen lotion and pulled his wife down with him as she let out a delightful squeal.

Pulling her closer to him, the thirty-four year old man’s green eyes brightened as Ella leaned in, giving him a nice long kiss.

They stayed like that under the dark blue umbrella that was right next to them. From the corner of Billie Joe’s left eye, he spotted dark brown hair and broke away from his wife for a moment to find a little Greek girl who looked at least five or six years old staring at them.

Biting her lip, Ella tried her hardest not to giggle at the little girl who still looked at the couple, her eyes widened at both of them. An older, more butch man grabbed the girl by the hand as she started speaking to him in none other than Greek. He looked back at the couple with a disgusted look and walked off with the child, hand in hand.

Returning the smirk Ella had given him a few moments ago, Billie Joe softly laughed in embarrassment.

“Let’s hope Phoebe never catches us doing something than making out,” he said as he put his arm around her waist and let her put her head on his bare shoulder.

“I doubt that. We can be pretty rowdy.”

He wiggled his eyebrows at her as he placed a quick kiss on her cheek.

“I don’t wanna go back,” he whispered.

“Yeah…it’s nice not to worry about diaper changing and nap times and have some real adult time.”

“You got that right.”

* * *
After their honeymoon in Athens, the couple delightfully made their way back to California, attending a small get together at Mike and Holly’s house with the four of them and Tre and Laura as well.

“So…how was it?” Holly eagerly asked.

“Great, just great. Except that I’m still feeling a little bit nauseous from the flight,” Ella said, shrugging off how she was feeling.

“Did you guys have a lot of sex?” Tre asked with a wide grin on his face.

The thirty-five year old woman looked over at her husband who didn’t know whether to answer the question or not.

“SO YOU GUYS DID!” The drummer laughed at the two as he took another sip of his drink.

Mike rolled his eyes at Tre and hit him upside the head.

In response to that, he whimpered in slight pain before he continued talking. “Anyway…Laura and I have an announcement to make.”

Billie Joe quirked an eyebrow at the couple as they both grinned widely, both slightly tipsy as well.

There was a silence among the other four as they continued to grin.

“We eloped in Vegas this weekend!” Laura exclaimed Billie Joe and Ella gave both of them a look.

The bassist looked over to his best friend who knew he was planning to propose to Holly some point soon. In return, Billie Joe quickly shrugged.

“Umm…congratulations,” Ella said with a smile. “Uhh…what made you guys do it?”

Laura shrugged as Tre gave a dazed smile. “Spur of the moment thing.”

“It was bound to happen,” Holly said as she looked over at Mike. “We’re the only unmarried ones now…how sad.”

“Yeah babe,” Mike said, trying to give a small laugh.

“As fun—and informative as this was, I think Billie and I are off now,” Ella said. “We need to go pick up Phoebe from Ollie’s house and I feel really jetlagged.”

“Yeah,” Billie Joe said as he got up from where he was sitting as his wife did as well.

“Bye Mr. and Mrs. Cool,” they both said, chuckling and shaking their heads after they left.

* * *
Ella placed a kiss on Phoebe’s forehead as she put the ten month old in her crib.

“Have fun at Grandma’s house?” she whispered to her daughter with a smile.

She looked up to see Billie Joe standing across from her with a small smile on his lips as he walked over to his wife, planting a small kiss on her lips as he leaned over and kissed his daughter on her forehead.

“God, it feels like just yesterday I found out I was pregnant,” she said quietly as she looked up at her husband. “Now…she’s almost a year old.”

“Time passes by like lightning, babe. Before we know it she’ll be a brooding teenager.”

She chuckled softly. “How are you sure she’ll be all broody? Joey and Jakob don’t seem to be that way.”

“Just wait till they all hit puberty—big time,” he said.

Ella gave a grin. “That made no sense, but I’m buying it.”

The thirty-four year old man rolled his green eyes playfully and leaned over to softly kiss her lips again as she smiled.

“Is it me or does everything seem to be perfect right now?”

“Yeah, right now.”

“Y’know, for me…it feels like just yesterday I saw you for the first time in years.”

“If I had known then I’d end up married to you now, I would’ve still gone through everything all over again.”

The younger man chuckled. “That’s just what I want to hear.”

She chuckled as well before getting into bed.
“I think I’m gonna call Laura to see if she and her husband—I can’t believe I’m saying that—got home safely.”

Billie Joe nodded before heading into the bathroom to change.

Ella dialed the couple’s house and let it ring a few times before someone finally picked up the phone.

“Hello?” Tre said, sounding sober for once.

“All sobered up I suppose?” Ella asked, slightly chuckling.

“Yeah, I had me some coffee while Laura passed out on the bed after too much beer.”

“Ahh, that’ll hurt in the morning. What are you doing up anyway?”

Tre snickered for a little bit as Billie Joe came out of the bathroom, giving his wife a slight look before going to Phoebe’s crib.

“Reading some slash stories.”

“Remind me again what those are…”

“Gosh, El. You’re so not up to date,” he said obnoxiously as Ella looked at her husband who was now making his way towards the bed, listening in on their conversation on the phone. “They’re dirty stories. They can be about bands and shit. I was just reading one about Billie boy and myself getting it on.”

Billie Joe laughed as Ella tried her best not to. “Didn’t you and Billie have sex before anyway?”

“Yeah but not this story. Daamn, these fans are so dirty it’s not even funny!”

“I bet you’re having a blast over there, Tre,” Billie Joe called over the phone.

“You bet your white ass I am!” The drummer yelled over the phone, loud enough for his band mate to hear and to deafen his wife for a moment.

Ella looked over at her husband, smirking and shaking her head before saying, “Okay…goodnight Tre.”

“No, wait! I need you to hear the last line of this story. It’s so—dirty.”

The other thirty-four year old man rolled his eyes, grabbed the phone from Ella’s hands and hung up the phone.

“Weren’t you dying to hear?” she asked, giggling.

He smirked at her. “He’s bound to repeat it a couple of times this week.”

“Well maybe we can give ourselves something to tell Tre…” Ella said with a devilish smile on her face.

“Are you implying sex, Eleanor?”

“Why, yes I am, William Joseph.”

Billie Joe made a face at Ella who in return gave him a quick kiss on the lips.

“Y’know…Phoebe is right there,” he said.

“As long as we’re quiet…she won’t know a thing. Kids don’t start remembering things until they’re about four.”

The younger man nodded in response. “If she has any painful childhood memories of this, I’m pinning this on you, babe.”

She quirked an eyebrow at him.

“Ohh…something tells me you won’t,” she said before pinning him on the bed to slowly undress him.

“My, my, what’s come over you tonight?”

“Lots of things, my love.”

* * *
The next morning, Ella woke up earlier than Billie Joe. Swinging her legs over the bed, the thirty-five year old woman headed for the bathroom and went to brush her teeth, keeping the bathroom door slightly open.

As she studied her reflection in the mirror, she heard murmurs coming from Billie Joe.

Quirking an eyebrow at herself in the mirror, Ella looked out of the bathroom to look at her husband.

“Noo Tre, it’s okay. No one’s here…” Billie Joe murmured. “C’mon…”

Giggling softly to herself, Ella turned around and closed the bathroom door before erupting into loud laughs.

“DO IT BABY!” he yelled as Ella fell to the floor laughing.

A few minutes later, Billie Joe opened the bathroom floor only to find his wife dying of laughter as she looked up at him.

“Uhh…what’s so funny, babe?”

“Your loud sex dream with Tre.”

His eyes immediately widened and his cheeks turned pink.

“You heard that?”

“Yeah…and might I say, Tre sounds like a very dirty boy.”

As Ella got up from the nicely tiled floor, Billie Joe was still blushing. A few minutes later, there was still silence between them.

“Well, was he good?”

“Umm…yeah.”

“Really…care to show me?” she asked, wiggling her eyebrows.

Billie Joe paused for a second before saying, “Sure.” And then putting his arms around her hips.

“But pretend I’m Tre.”

“What?”

“You heard me.”

“Billie…you’re squishing me, get up.”

Billie Joe was startled and suddenly woke up sweating besides Ella.

“Finally…what the hell were you dreaming about?” she asked groggily looking over at the clock that read it was four in the morning.

“Just…uhh…something,” Billie Joe said, looking over at his wet sheets in embarrassment.

Ella giggled. “Did you have a sex dream? I heard you mumble something about Tre.”

“Why are you assuming I had sex with Tre?”

“You mumbled some dirty things I don’t think you would repeat to children.”

The younger man grumbled. “You’re not going to tell him, are you?”

“I’ll think about it…if you answer me one question.”

Billie Joe settled down on the bed, focusing his eyes on her. “Okay, shoot.”

“Was he better than me?” she asked, smirking a little bit.

The thirty-four year old man paused for a little bit, a bit hesitant to answer to his wife who waited patiently and trying hard not to laugh too loud to wake Phoebe.

He sighed before saying, “Let’s leave it at this, babe. You have a vagina, and Tre doesn’t.”

Confusingly nodding, Ella reached over to kiss him before towering over him.

“Fine, I won’t say two words to Tre.”

“Good.”

Aside from all the jokes, Billie Joe and Ella finally felt comfortable after getting married, feeling normal for once and ready for whatever was ahead for their long marriage ahead.